• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tamarind Passionfruit Barbecue ala hummingbirdkiss

Kouign Aman

Tamarind Passionfruit Barbecue ala hummingbirdkiss

This is not exact ...taste while you are cooking to get all balance right for you and yours ..I like mine blistering hot so I add more Habaneros than I say here......this recipe is "medium hot".

Fruity, smoky, hot & spicy, sweet & sticky barbecue

• 3 bottles chile sauce (Heinz or whatever or Ketchup)
  • 1 c frozen Goya brand tamarind puree or tamarind paste diluted so you can pour it easily
  • 1 c frozen Goya brand Passion fruit puree (or juice concentrate probably)
  • 6 Key limes, juice of or regular limes maybe 3
  • 2 c dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 c corn syrup
  • 2 shots dark rum
  • 2 X 1 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, minced
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 big sprig thyme
  • 1 large sweet onion cut into four pieces
  • 3 fresh tomatoes
  • 3 habenero peppers
  • 3 tble New Mexican red chile powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • 1 tsp allspice
  • 1 small can of chipotle peppers in adobo
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 c of vegetable oil

in a food processor with a chopping blade mince up together the following until a smooth puree :

the ginger

garlic

thyme

onions

tomatoes

habaneros (hbk's recipe doesnt say whether to include seeds. Remove or include according to your fondness for heat)

chile powder

cumin

coriander

allspice (toasted)

can of chipotle peppers in adobo.

While the food processor is going add the 1 cup of vegetable oil.

Take that paste out of the processor and put into a pot on the stove ..while stirring everything together bring to a hard boil for five minutes

Turn to med high and stir every few min for about another 10-15 to make a fairly thick sauce.

Taste to see if you want salt in there ..I put a couple of tsp of Kosher but not sure if it needed it

I ran mine through a strainer but I dont think you have to there was nothing left in the strainer!

I came out with three full pints of sauce when I was done

I smoked the chicken and ribs after brining them for about 20-30 min ..drying them off really well then bringing them to room temp...lots of smoke on about a 300 degree grill (there was a large range chicken quartered and enough St Louis ribs for four people)

just be patient check every 15 min add more chips and smoke away for at least 2 hours or so

when they seem nicely smoked/cooked through... start dipping them in sauce every 15 min until you have what my pictures looked like ..I thin it was one more hour.

If you like chuncks in your sauce add a diced sweet bell pepper and a dice onion just before you bring it to a boil.

[Pix are at this address

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=105225&view=findpost&p=1443612]

Keywords: Main Dish, Hot and Spicy, Sauce, Barbeque

( RG2002 )

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.