• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Simmered in Vinegar and Soy

helenjp

Chicken Simmered in Vinegar and Soy

Serves 4 as Main Dishor 20 as Appetizer.

I had this recipe from a Japanese magazine cutting ("Croissant"?) in the early 1990s. It has been a favorite for dinners, beer snacks, and picnic lunches ever since. It seems to be related to Filipino adobo dishes.

• 1 dried chiles
  • slices ginger
  • 1 cloves of garlic
  • 2 T Chinese shaohsing rice wine or sake
  • 1/3 c soy sauce
  • 1/2 c rice vinegar or mild vinegar
  • 1 kg chicken wings or wing drumlets

Douse chicken in boiling water and drain.

Lay neatly in pan in a single layer.

Pour over about 1/2 cup mild vinegar, 1/3 cup soy sauce, 2 tsp of Chinese wine or sake, and a few spoonsful of water so that liquid comes at least halfway up chicken pieces.

Sprinkle liberally with paprika (improves color, don't worry about flavor of paprika for this recipe).

Add 1-3 garlic cloves. I usually add the green leaves from Japanese dividing onions (naga-negi) in a layer on top, but this is not absolutely essential.

Add several slices of fresh ginger.

Spices...you can stick with a dried chile pepper or two and a bayleaf, or add one star anise, as you like.

Use a drop-lid or cover roughly with silicon paper, and simmer for 1-2 hours (good crockpot dish if you are willing to move to a pan and reduce the liquid for about 30 minutes at the end.

This is pleasant warm, but also great cold - the lack of oil means that it is not greasy, and the vinegar cooks to a slight but uncloying sweetness.

I had this recipe from a Japanese magazine cutting ("Croissant"?) in the early 1990s. It has been a favorite for dinners, beer snacks, and picnic lunches ever since.

Keywords: Appetizer, Main Dish, Easy, Chicken, Japanese

( RG1087 )