• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocky supervisor!

Chefb28

So where I work they just hired a hourly FOH supervisor, he is in basics at culinary school and he has the tipical "I know it all attitude" and he is super cocky and thinks that he is this great chef and what really gets me fired up is that he has never worked in a kitchen and I can't stand it, I've had enough! I've talked with my GM about him and he knows where I'm coming from, but we can't just fire him when he did nothing wrong. What should I do?

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"

Oscar Wilde

Work on developing a thick skin. You're going to work with a lot of A-holes in your career- you have to learn how do deal with all kinds. It's hard to offer much advice except be professional at all times and stand your ground.

Work on developing a thick skin.  You're going to work with a lot of A-holes in your career- you have to learn how do deal with all kinds.  It's hard to offer much advice except be professional at all times and stand your ground.

Right on, Thats what I've been doing just keeping my distence and doing my job. I was just seeing if anybody has had to work with the likes of such people and get there input.

Oscar Wilde

I've worked that person...but some people probably say I am that person! :biggrin: Aside from cooking skills working in a restaurant requires social skills. It can really be the difference between being a line cook and moving into management. Of course, lots of managers lack those skills, too...

The owner of my cafe just hired her boyfriends daughter to "oversee the operation".

Her restaurant, cooking, and management skills = "0"".

It should be quite amusing.

Fortunately, I have paid my dues and will take little crap from a know nothing.

Or, I just may follow her directions to the letter and watch her fall on her face.

Either way it should be fun.

These types are, sadly, rife in our industry. Bide your time and it has been my experience that they cause their own downfall :wink:

These types, are, sadly, rife in *ANY* industry. Sometimes they crash and burn. Sometimes, actually *MOST* times, (at least in non-restaurant industry), they are promoted to senior management.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Hi,

In these situations it is important to maintain a cordial tone, keep the discussion objective and document instructions.

In a kitchen, documentation is difficult but may be accomplished with a daily work log book. This is necessary only when the truth is being disputed. In that case, keep your discussions public.

Abusive subjective behavior may dictate a pocket recorder.

Tim

Thanks for all the input. I've been keeping the discussions short and simple, he is just a tool and there is nothing I can do to fix his damage, That's the way he is!

Oscar Wilde