• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Drawing on the inspiration and expertise of @teonzo, I made Fig, Saffron & Yogurt Pops:

1952954350_IMG_2917(1).thumb.jpeg.3bd096473767dca4957752b795cc2055.jpeg

Because I couldn't resist eating a bunch of the beautiful figs I got at the farmers market, I didn't have enough left for a full batch of straight-up fig & saffron pops.  The figs were so sweet that I thought the slight tartness of the yogurt might be a nice contrast and would help show off the saffron color.  

I did not cook the fig purée or strain out the seeds as they were barely detectable, just added a squeeze of lemon juice, a bit of lemon zest, a spoonful of honey and saffron to the fig purée.  The yogurt layer is Greek yogurt with a little honey, saffron and a little milk & cream to thin to a pourable consistency. 
Edited to add that I put most of the saffron in the fig purée and less in the yogurt.  That fig/saffron combo really sings!

These were already in the freezer when I got a text message from my neighbor who said they were especially enjoying the fruit + cream or yogurt swirl pops  so I think these might be a hit with them.  

I will definitely try more fig pops.  I'd made some fig & ricotta cheesecake pops in the past (see here) that involved sticking fig slices to the sides of the molds.  I liked the idea of showcasing the fresh figs in that way but the pops looked odd and were a nuisance.  This was a much easier way. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Drawing on the inspiration and expertise of @teonzo, I made Fig, Saffron & Yogurt Pops:

1952954350_IMG_2917(1).thumb.jpeg.3bd096473767dca4957752b795cc2055.jpeg

Because I couldn't resist eating a bunch of the beautiful figs I got at the farmers market, I didn't have enough left for a full batch of straight-up fig & saffron pops.  The figs were so sweet that I thought the slight tartness of the yogurt might be a nice contrast and would help show off the saffron color.  

I did not cook the fig purée or strain out the seeds as they were barely detectable, just added a squeeze of lemon juice, a bit of lemon zest, a spoonful of honey and saffron to the fig purée.  The yogurt layer is Greek yogurt with a little honey, saffron and a little milk & cream to thin to a pourable consistency. 

These were already in the freezer when I got a text message from my neighbor who said they were especially enjoying the fruit + cream or yogurt swirl pops  so I think these might be a hit with them.  

I will definitely try more fig pops.  I'd made some fig & ricotta cheesecake pops in the past (see here) that involved sticking fig slices to the sides of the molds.  I liked the idea of showcasing the fresh figs in that way but the pops looked odd and were a nuisance.  This was a much easier way.