• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NY Thruway then on to Lake Placid

Holly Moore

I'm driving from Philadelphia to Lake Placid over 4th July weekend. Would appreciate suggestions for HollyEats places along the route. Also for Lake Placid. Nothing wrong with a 20 or 30 mile side trip for some good eating.

Thanks

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

There's a nice little town about an hour north right after you enter the Thruway from NJ. Exit 18, New Paltz (it's about 5minutes right after the exit on your left). They have a nice little Bakery, Thai, Indian and Sushi.

Also on that exit, little further down the near the river, is the CIA (Culinary Institute of America), which is about 30 minutes off the thruway.

I will get back on the exact addresses of the places mentioned

Jim

Edited by stealw (log)

Guessing that you would be getting on the NY Truway via Rt 287...in Mahwah NJ exit 66 off 287 is Kinchley's Pizza on Franklin Tpk

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Saratoga Springs, only five minutes off the Northway, for a stop at Mrs. London's, one of the greatest patisseries in the country. Great croissants, Kugelhopf, pecan danish and French pastries of all kinds. They now have a small restaurant next door for a full meal which I understand is excellent. They're right on Broadway, the main drag into town.

There is also a nice little diner called the Country Corner a block in from Broadway near the post office. The breads and preserves are home made, the eggs are farm frsh and they serve good coffee. There may be another location now which I can't vouch for.

Hattie's Chicken Shack used to serve really good fried chicken and soul food but its changed hands since I've been there. Still supposed to be good, I think.

Bon voyage and good eating.

Edited by Joe Gerard (log)

I can highly recommend Armadillo Bar and Grill in Kingston, NY. They are open for lunch only on Saturday and Sunday.

www.armadillos.net

Despite their being a primarily TexMex place, my favorite cheeseburger (lifelong list) has them at number 1. Order it medium rare, and ask for the jalapeno mayonnaise on the side.

Don't look for Chez Sophie if you stop in Saratoga Springs; it's closing at the end of the month. Consider Max London's or Chianti instead.

My understanding is that Chez Sophie won't be closing until September.

I second Mrs. London's. It is one of the finest pattisseries that you will find anywhere. Max London's is currently my favorite restaurant in Saratoga.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Near Albany, Jumpin Jacks in Scotia is a decent riverside drive-in for a burger and a shake. A Jackburger comes topped with coleslaw, and if you ask they'll grill in some barbecue sauce. They make a big deal about the rings but they're nothing special.

(518) 393-6101

5 Schonowee Ave

Scotia, NY 12302

If solid Greek diner sounds good, you want the Colonie Diner, in Colonie.

(518) 456-1550

1890 Central Ave

Albany, NY 12205

Cooper's Cave Pub in Glens Falls is a place that may interest you. The food is a bit uneven, but I recently had the best fried fish that I have had in a long time there. They have good ice cream and very good beers and sodas as well, all house made. Martha's Dandee Creme in Queensbury across from the Great Escape Amusement Park also has wonderful soft-serve ice cream.

Edited by docsconz (log)

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Also El Mexicano in Hudson Falls and now Saratoga, I believe has excellent Mexican food.

Twitter - @docsconz