• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aubergine

Twohearted

Photos from a chef's tasting dinner there on 5/16:

IMG_2046.JPG

radishes, cucumber, fennel with black olive tapenade

IMG_2047.JPG

gougeres

IMG_2049.JPG

Aperitif: Louis Roederer Brut

IMG_2051.JPG

Amuse bouche: cucumber gazpacho with creme fraiche

IMG_2052.JPG

cobia sashimi, watermelon, arugula, avocado tempura

IMG_2053.JPG

crab, braised fennel with crab bisque

IMG_2055.JPG

lingcod, pate negra (iberico ham), manila clams, artichoke puree

IMG_2057.JPG

duck breast, truffle and potato ravioli, spring onions, bacon

IMG_2060.JPG

lamb shoulder, lamb loin, haricot verts, carrot

IMG_2061.JPG

rice pudding, rhubarb sorbet, rhubarb gelatin, rhubarb foam

IMG_2066.JPG

chocolate mouse, fresh berries (a special dish from the chef for our 1 year wedding anniversary)

The best courses were the crab bisque, lingcod and duck breast. The pate negra with the lingcod was a real treat. I'd definitely recommend dinner here if you happen to be in the area. So many of the other restaurants in the area seemed mediocre or downright tacky (Casanova). We didn't intend to have the tasting menu here, but so many of the dishes on the menu looked so good that we couldn't limit our choices to just 3 or 4 items.

I thought the dining room was a bit lacking and rather small. The tables have very large metal bases that are rather ugly and obtrusive. Aside from that, the service was superb.

If you do dine here, I highly recommend timing your dinner to be able to make it down to the Carmel beach for watching the sunset and enjoying a bonfire.

What was the price for the tasting menu ?

Photos from a chef's tasting dinner there on 5/16:

IMG_2046.JPG

radishes, cucumber, fennel with black olive tapenade

IMG_2047.JPG

gougeres

IMG_2049.JPG

Aperitif: Louis Roederer Brut

IMG_2051.JPG

Amuse bouche: cucumber gazpacho with creme fraiche

IMG_2052.JPG

cobia sashimi, watermelon, arugula, avocado tempura

IMG_2053.JPG

crab, braised fennel with crab bisque

IMG_2055.JPG

lingcod, pate negra (iberico ham), manila clams, artichoke puree

IMG_2057.JPG

duck breast, truffle and potato ravioli, spring onions, bacon

IMG_2060.JPG

lamb shoulder, lamb loin, haricot verts, carrot

IMG_2061.JPG

rice pudding, rhubarb sorbet, rhubarb gelatin, rhubarb foam

IMG_2066.JPG

chocolate mouse, fresh berries (a special dish from the chef for our 1 year wedding anniversary)

The best courses were the crab bisque, lingcod and duck breast.  The pate negra with the lingcod was a real treat.  I'd definitely recommend dinner here if you happen to be in the area.  So many of the other restaurants in the area seemed mediocre or downright tacky (Casanova).  We didn't intend to have the tasting menu here, but so many of the dishes on the menu looked so good that we couldn't limit our choices to just 3 or 4 items. 

I thought the dining room was a bit lacking and rather small.  The tables have very large metal bases that are rather ugly and obtrusive.  Aside from that, the service was superb.

If you do dine here, I highly recommend timing your dinner to be able to make it down to the Carmel beach for watching the sunset and enjoying a bonfire.

Looks wonderful! We were in Carmel a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed meals at Demetra's Cafe, Christopher's on Lincoln, Terrace Grill and the "the C" at the new Clement Intercontinental. We'll have to try Aubergine next time, we did dine at Bouchee awhile back and loved it! :)