• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll be in Derby for a few weeks.

My colleagues who were fortunate enough to work there before tell me great stories of the wealth of entertainment available in the region.

Is there anything within 20min drive of Derby where one can enjoy decent food, preferably not too hard on the wallet? If there's a really decent place which happens to be cheap and not too far from where we'll stay, it would be fantastic.

More expensive options also welcome although we'll probably head South for weekends.

As per my previous St Asaph/North Wales thread, last time we spent the two weeks scouting about Wales not realizing there was a fantastic pub just 500m from the hotel until the last night...

I assume Fischers at Baslow Hall is too far out by both your criteria. If you're staying in Derby itself, you could try Masa, set in a wonderful converted Wesleyan chapel. Not been for a couple of years but did have a pretty good meal when last I went. Can't master the insert live link procedure but it's not too hard tack down the website.

Baslow Hall sounds good for the end of project meal. 39min is not too far. Driver might get annoyed at not being able to drink with his meal, but that's par for the course.

Will try Masa.

Ebi Sushi is exactly what I'm looking for. Even at £4 for a roll if it's as good as the review makes it (and the review makes it sound like Hiro) we'll be regulars for the next month.

Perhaps not for dining forum but is there anywhere to buy decent meat & veg for cooking?

Ebi Sushi is exactly what I'm looking for. Even at £4 for a roll if it's as good as the review makes it (and the review makes it sound like Hiro) we'll be regulars for the next month.

Ha, please report back especially if you can compare it with Sushi Hiro in Ginza!! I met a Japanese lady here in Brum last weekend who goes to Derby quite frequently, she described Mr Ebina as "very talented". It struck me as perfectly Japanese way of praising someone.

Sorry, can't help you with ingredients in Derby.

• 2 weeks later...

Again feeling the pressure from team members we've wasted enough money to regret not going. At least one has agreed to come along next week to Ebi. It's next door to our BnB conveniently.

So, I'll add to the thread, a list of places where NOT to eat if you are stuck in Derby without a kitchen:

- Wokmania. Vile, execrable food served in a large church. Oversalted, bitter food, the nightmare Asian buffet impersonated. I pity the Rolls-Royce graduate intake whose welcoming dinner was held there.

- Slug & Lettuce (no comment necessary there)

- Balti Towers in Burton. Not so bad per se, just not worth the drive and definitely not worth the spend.

But if you're on a budget, the Friary does a burger and a beer for £3.50. It's (just about) better than Spoons. Part of the "Scream" pub chain I believe.

Coming soon, Ebi Sushi.

I, at least, await eagerly for your validation. In fact it's about time i went back again, before all those Japanese Toyota employees get the sack and Mr Ebina has to ply his talents elsewhere.