• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The first Texas Olive oil! Texas Olive Ranch

Richard Kilgore

Picked up a bottle of what I understand to be the first Texas olive oil: Texas Olive Ranch- Early Harvest Master's Reserve. At Central Market now. Impressive buttery olive flavor with a mild peppery finish. As good as or better than most quality Italian oils in the same price range in my experience.

Tom Spicer at FM 1410 next to Jimmy's has been carrying some since the start of summer as well. He used to have a big drum of it and you brought your own container to fill but the past few times it's been individual bottles for $17. I like it; one of the big disadvantages of shelling out money for premium oil from Italy is that it would inevitably be a year or more older and olive oil is best consumed within a year.