• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Carrot Museum

Shel_B

Thanks! That's a very cool site. I'm a gardening nut and I love to grow vegetables that are heirlooms or that are unusual in color.

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

Mmmmmm . . . carrots. :smile:

Thanks for that link.

There's a potato museum in O'Leary, Prince Edward Island - it's an actual physical shrine to tubers. Click.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

That site is a fascinating read, especially the bit about how carrots were all originally purple, until Dutch breeders crossbred them with yellows carrots to produce orange carrots for the House of Orange. I'd always considered the orange colour to be a defining characteristic of a carrot - and now - /shakes head/.

You learn something new every day. I always have my eye out at the supermarket looking for the famous purple/red carrots of Kyoto, because I love purple foods, but I never see any. Even Japanese people seem to prefer orange carrots.

[...]I always have my eye out at the supermarket looking for the famous purple/red carrots of Kyoto, because I love purple foods, but I never see any.

Last year some of the markets here had white, yellow, and purple carrots. That got me to look into the history of carrots, and a few days ago, while looking for information about black carrots (as a result of my interest in creating a black hummus), I came across the site.

I don't know if the purple carrots we had here are the same as those carrots of Kyoto, but you've piqued my curiosity.

shel

... Shel