• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CityZen Sommelier: Sauternes and Slayer

Busboy

I never saw any of the tattoos when when I've been there, and they don't seem to give him any control over the background music, but maybe you can tell CityZen sommelier Andy Myer's heavy-metal heart by the audacity with which he foists not just wine from various odd addresses on the diners who come to him for a match, but even the occasional beer.

The man nods at Myers, who is a picture of professionalism in a classy navy pinstripe suit, glasses, a salt-and-pepper goatee. He's got a black cloth draped smoothly across his forearm. You'd have to look closely to notice the silver skull cufflinks -- an anniversary gift from his wife, Erin -- and the edges of the tattoos on his wrists. His body art extends from his knees to his elbows, depicting, among other things, a demon head, Captain America and, on his butt, a blowing wind. Myers is probably the only sommelier in Washington with such an ink spread, not to mention a lifelong passion for heavy-metal music. Under his suit, he's wearing a black T-shirt printed with the name of a band called Goat Whore, which he describes as an "extremely heavy death-metal band" with a penchant for satanic lyrics. "I love them," he says.

More here.

I wonder if they'll let Andy do the backstage catering next time Iggy (OK, not technically metal) comes to town ( from Iggy's rider as reproduce on Smoking Gun ) "Look there's f***ing loads of good red wines...ask the man in the wine shop. Or here's a number of suggestions...."

Even more exciting: have him do a wine and music cage match with cross-town rival and classical harpsichord enthusiast Mark Slater of Michel Richard Citronelle.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.