• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tom & Thierry on FoodTV

My wife and I had dinner at Dahlia last weekend and were told by our server that the FoodTV show featuring Tom Douglas and Thierry Rauterau was in production. It will be interesting to see if they can work any substantive cooking into the show, or if it will end up being mostly about the two of them dressing up in drag.

BTW, we had a really nice experience at Dahlia. Grazed on a number of their appetizers; the highlight was a seared scallops and cauliflower in cream sauce and paprika oil dish that was trememdous. Probably the most complex cream sauce I've ever had. Service was excellent too.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Did everyone see Emeril talking about Seattle on Friday night?

Nope, cuz I gasp and change the channel ASAP whenever I see his mug. What'd he say?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Yeah, can't stand him, but had to watch the hometown piece. He went to the Market, which he later referred to as Pike's market. Mentioned his good friend Tom Douglas. Drank a latte at Vivace and commented about the notorious park near it, without futher embellishment. I don't think he caught the feeling of Seattle very well. He cooked salmon and Uli's sausages. Not together.

He also said that Salumi (owned by the parent of his 'good, good friend' Mario) was the first place to make sausage in Seattle, which couldn't possibly be true. I had FoodTV on while I was baking babas for the potluck. Seemed like the usual Pike Place Market tourist puff piece. Nothing on any local restaurants other than Vivace - which he called Vivace's (It always makes me cringe when people put an extra 's' a the end of a name).

He also said that Salumi (owned by the parent of his 'good, good friend' Mario) was the first place to make sausage in Seattle, which couldn't possibly be true. I had FoodTV on while I was baking babas for the potluck. Seemed like the usual Pike Place Market tourist puff piece. Nothing on any local restaurants other than Vivace - which he called Vivace's (It always makes me cringe when people put an extra 's' a the end of a name).

At least he recognized some bitchin' coffee.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

- the space needle had the current (and icky) orange roof.

You don't like it? I think it's pretty cool and a nice change of pace.

I know that the orange is the original color, but I think back then the outer ring was also painted the same color. With just the roof in orange it looks tacky to me.

My favorite Space Needle look was when they had lights on the underside of the ring radiating out from the center. By sequencing the lights they could make the top look as if it was spinning like a flying saucer. Very cool :cool:

<snip>

He also said that Salumi (owned by the parent of his 'good, good friend' Mario)

<snip>

Mario did a good demo at the Italian festival at Seattle Center a couple of weeks ago, and made some funny jokes about Emeril. He did mention that they were friends, but it didn't stop him from making a few good digs. Of course, nothing like Anthony Bourdain, but still amusing.

- S