• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Les Bouquinistes

Frege

Noticed this Guy Savoy outpost next door to Ze Kitchen Gallery.  Anybody eaten here lately.  Rcomendations?

I have eaten a few times.. Last time with JT.You have better choices in Paris.

Suggestions accepted!

Noticed this Guy Savoy outpost next door to Ze Kitchen Gallery.  Anybody eaten here lately.  Rcomendations?

For one of Pierre and my experiences - see here.

As for suggestions (these are all lunch, as was Ze, where it's not noisy and American) try Passiflore, Clocher Pereire, l'Epigramme, Afaria, Repaire de Cartouche, Les Papilles depending on what you want.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

For one of Pierre and my experiences - see here.

As for suggestions (these are all lunch, as was Ze, where it's not noisy and American) try Passiflore, Clocher Pereire, l'Epigramme, Afaria, Repaire de Cartouche, Les Papilles depending on what you want.

Wondeful choices.They are not alike and represent what eating out in Paris is all about.I wish someone will give me a list like this when I travel .

• 3 weeks later...

It's not that often that I dredge up an old restaurant thread to complain, but I just had a very weird/mediocre meal at les bouquinistes this weekend. Out of our two starters and two mains, the only thing that was really impressive was my prawn starter. They kept us waiting (without apologizing or explaining) for 15-20 minutes just standing in the doorway (even though we arrived exactly on time for our 10pm reservations). they were very dismissive of us until they realized we spoke french (at which point they showed us immediately to our table and offered us two glasses of champagne for the wait)

They weren't very observant about our empty glasses of wine (the wine is kept at the communal table in the middle and they just come and pour instead of leaving it with you). When they did pour our wine, they poured the wrong bottle - (I think if you are going to take charge of the wine at a separate table, you should pay attention to when the glasses are empty and which table has which wine) My dining companion asked for a substitution on a side dish, which they said no problem to, but then she didn't get when the plate came. The couple next to us sent their dessert back because it tasted like soap. (maybe they just ordered something that they didn't like, but by the time dessert came I wasn't in the mood to keep trying)

So, overall, i would say, I won't be trying them again. Maybe I just hit a bad night, but I think if you charge a certain amount (granted these prices aren't sky-high, but they are enough for dinner) you should try and make every diner's experience and every night a good one.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis