• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

$33.33 @ 23

raji

2 people I'm helping out are taking me out for lunch on Friday, should be within, say, an 8-block radius of 23rd and 6th avenue, and the limit is around $100 for 3. No booze will be consumed. It's like a business lunch but not business guys.

This is the diametric opposite of the all-too-common "coming to NY for a few days, where should I go" threads - a very specific set of conditions.

So, where should I book a table for 3 @ 1?

and....

go

2 people I'm helping out are taking me out for lunch on Friday, should be within, say, an 8-block radius of 23rd and 6th avenue, and the limit is around $100 for 3. No booze will be consumed. It's like a business lunch but not business guys.

This is the diametric opposite of the all-too-common "coming to NY for a few days, where should I go" threads - a very specific set of conditions.

So, where should I book a table for 3 @ 1?

and....

go

Gramercy Tavern. Besides the regular menu the soup and sandwich for $12 in the tavern room of is one of the best deals for lunch in that neighborhood. Also it leaves room for another course or beverage within your price range.

It's like a business lunch but not business guys.

What about Hill Country, or the Bread Bar at Tabla? Those are places where you do lots of sharing, so with a $100 budget you can get a bunch of different stuff and eat well.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Gramercy Tavern. Besides the regular menu the soup and sandwich for $12 in the tavern room of is one of the best deals for lunch in that neighborhood. Also it leaves room for another course or beverage within your price range.

Ah - good call!

My kneejerk reaction was A Voce, which I've been meaning to try, or perhaps Tabla bread bar. EMP is probably out of reach... then again, most Danny Meyer restaurants have something similar to a restaurant week prix fixe, like ~$28, year round - that being the case, that would just sneak in I think... a Prix fixe up to $28 still makes ~$100 tax and tip -

Was also thinking hill country, but these are 2 FujiTV execs, i'm not sure the TX style will win them over.

Maarkt is hella loud... but maybe not so at lunch...

Devi at lunch is another possibility.

Thanks for all the reccs guys. This will be a common scenario so they will certainly come in handy down the road.

I ended up going with Devi - they have a RW-type deal going year 'round, the menu looks damn good, and recently I've been cooking Suvir's recipes so I probably need to re-acquaint myself -

thanks again!