• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baumgart's Cafe

dodge621

Baumgart's Cafe Englewood nice rating. Consistent health violations. For those of you interested Baumgart's Cafe is consistently having violations. The review fails to mention this.

ngatti, I am sure you can confirm Baumgart's frequent health violations!

food: 22

service: 19

decor: 21

$: 27

health code violations: consistent

with "cockroaches crawling over my pradas" and "great burgers and fries," this "garbage dumpster sent straight from heaven" offers a bit for everyone. a "madhouse" of an ice cream parlor adorns this "filthy" and "mice-infested" psuedo-chinese. nay-sayers opine "more rat poison!" while fans enthuse "you can hardly taste the droppings."

edited for consisent bad speeling.

this is from the link I had provided in the Sanitary Conditions post. 5 Conditional violations within 1 year does not look good to me.

Englewood

Baumgart’s Café- Conditional 7/10/01, Conditional 7/16/01, Satisfactory 7/23/01, Conditional 9/17/01, Satisfactory 9/25/01, Conditional 12/12/01, Satisfactory 12/17/01, Conditional 3/28/02, Satisfactory 4/4/02

[nay-sayers opine "more rat poison!" while fans enthuse "you can hardly taste the droppings."

]

Yes the dropping do just blend in and may even add to the flavor. Rat droppings are great for those on Atkins diets as well - great source of protein. I found out a few years ago once of my favorite Chinese restaurants in New York was found to have rat problems only after it was listed in the NY Post. I had enjoyed the restaurant or shall I say the rat hole until I found out the why it all tasted so fresh.

In New York City at least, most restaruants seem to have one violation or another on any given sanitation inspection. I'd be interested in learning the baseline standard for New Jersey. Also, I'm surprised at people's willingness to give credence to governmentally conducted spot-checks for sanitation violations, especially given the long and distinguished history of corruption in this particular field of regulatory enforcement. The inspection results are made public -- that's nice -- but who is inspecting the inspectors?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

[The inspection results are made public -- that's nice -- but who is inspecting the inspectors?]

yes, I agree the inspectors should be inspected by the 2nd round of inspectors. and the 2nd round of inspectors should be inspected by the 3rd round of inspectors. The 3rd round of inspectors should be inspected by the 4th round.

Why don't we hand over the inspections to Mr. New Jersey himself - Tony Soprano.

Christopher, Ralphie, Sylvio, Junior will be very honest and fair I am sure.

In New York City at least, most restaruants seem to have one violation or another on any given sanitation inspection. I'd be interested in learning the baseline standard for New Jersey. Also, I'm surprised at people's willingness to give credence to governmentally conducted spot-checks for sanitation violations, especially given the long and distinguished history of corruption in this particular field of regulatory enforcement. The inspection results are made public -- that's nice -- but who is inspecting the inspectors?

Well Steve, things can get pretty Byzantine around here, and not due to layers of bureaucracy.

In Bergen County there are something like 70+ individual munincipalities. Although there may be a few regional consortiums (some high schools and shared equipment leasing, for example), the vast vast majority of these towns are fully independent autonomous fiefdoms...errr...districts :wink: .

This means: 70+ Police departments, school districts, volunteer (and some paid) fire departments and school districts. Seventy locales where the health codes are administered. Coordinating these inspections can be a nightmare. I believe the codes are mandates from the state and county, although there may be some locality specific ones thrown into the mix.

Some towns administer sanitation classes for several of the surrounding munincipalities. The Health officer that I usually see, works for several towns on a contract basis (I think). He also inspects our swimming pool to make sure that it too is in compliance. Much disease can be spead this way.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by baseline standard. Certainly there is the Code (state, county and municipal). But as stated in a previous post there can be much latitude given by an individual officer.

I think the corruption you speak of is much more particular to NYC than NJ. At least it has been based on my limited experience in NY ( yes I've seen some strange interaction between inspectors and owners in NYC) and my much greater experience in NJ, where I've never witnessed even the semblance of impropriety (which doesn't mean that it doesn't happen on this side of the river).

In terms of individual violations (as opposed to failed inspections), I see on my latest report that I have four minor violations. They include some thermometers missing from some of my reach-in refrigeration as well some of the silverware being stored eating end up (a no no). I had a light bulb out over one of the cooking areas ( this falls under the "I had to write something" category) and some dust was found on the floor in *one* of my 10 reach in refrigerators.

Having said that I admit that the inspection could have been more rigorous. Several of us weren't wearing hats or hairnets. My garbage cans were also uncovered. Both of these are violations but were not written up. Sometimes you get a guy who (rightfully so IMO) just wants to make sure that you have all of the serious bases covered, and is willing to cut you a little slack re: the Mickey Mouse shit. But...sometimes not..

Hope this helps a little. I could go on, but even i realize that this can be a pretty boring subject. :smile:

Nick

In terms of individual violations (as opposed to failed inspections), I see on my latest report that I have four minor violations.  They include some thermometers missing from some of my reach-in refrigeration as well some of the silverware being stored eating end up (a no no).  I had a light bulb out over one of the cooking areas ( this falls under the "I had to write something" category) and some dust was found on the floor in *one* of my 10 reach in refrigerators. 

YUCK!! i would NEVER eat in your restaurant after seeing the "conditional" report in the bergen record. NEVER! that's disgusting.

It may not be relevant or an accurate way to gauge cleanliness behind the scenes but I make a quick visit to the bathroom of any restaurant I visit, particularly the small independent operations. If the bathroom is spotlessly clean and obviously very well maintained I like to think that reasonable housekeeping and sanitary procedures extend to other parts of the operation as well. This is probably a totally inaccurate means of assessing anything but I'm happy in my delusion.

Having spent a few years in a previous lifetime as a busboy, waiter and bartender, I have a realistic understanding of what can happen in a restaurant kitchen. If I chose to, I could be paranoid enough to just cook at home (as if my kitchen would pass a health inspection - NOT!). Instead, I just use common sense and avoid certain types of restaurants (Chinese buffets and also any place that doesn't appear to be neat and clean on the fron end). In many years of eating out the only time I've ever suffered ill effects from dining out (other than paying too much for medicore food) was when I got poisoning from bad raw oysters back in the early 80's. Happened at a reputable upscale place and it could have happened anywhere (and I never ate another raw oyster until I visited new orleans last winter).

Having eaten there twice, I'll agree that your review is probably more accurate. :wink:

Marge Perry likes the place, I can't stand it. For whatever reason (actually plenty if you read the review), the place speaks to her. That's okay. Different strokes...

However the review was well written. A good description, no silly axes to grind. It does what it's supposed to do. If The Record would use critics that stick to this format, fine.

One quibble...No mention of the signature Chicken Salad Sandwich?

BTW. I don't think it's a critics job to check for the sanitation inpection sign, nor delve into the past in order to make the sanitation record part of the review.

Coupla cents worth

Nick

BTW.  I don't think it's a critics job to check for the sanitation inpection sign, nor delve into the past in order to make the sanitation record part of the review.

dat was part of what i was saying in my parody. a little too subtle though. perhaps i should revert back to bulldozer tactics.

BTW.  I don't think it's a critics job to check for the sanitation inpection sign, nor delve into the past in order to make the sanitation record part of the review.

dat was part of what i was saying in my parody. a little too subtle though. perhaps i should revert back to bulldozer tactics.

I caught it. I hope others did also.

Nick

food:  22

service:  19

decor: 21

$:  27

health code violations:  consistent

I realize this is satire, but a 22 for food at Baumgart's??? I'm sure Tommy meant "12", but just had a little typo in the beginning there.

Other than that, I think that Tommy should start doing this mock-Zagat review a LOT more often. I'm looking forward to great things.

Other than that, I think that Tommy should start doing this mock-Zagat review a LOT more often.  I'm looking forward to great things.

"not as funny as he thinks he is," tommy offers a "seemingly non-stop" barrage of "witless" and "mind numbing" comments, supported by often "inane stupid pictures" culled from the internet. obviously fueled by "too much beer and boredom," his posts seem to "pop up more than zits on a prostitute's backside." while fans say he's "cute as a button," and cheer "more kittens!," most just find themselves wanting to "kick his ass."

Other than that, I think that Tommy should start doing this mock-Zagat review a LOT more often.  I'm looking forward to great things.

"not as funny as he thinks he is," tommy offers a "seemingly non-stop" barrage of "witless" and "mind numbing" comments, supported by often "inane stupid pictures" culled from the internet. obviously fueled by "too much beer and boredom," his posts seem to "pop up more than zits on a prostitute's backside." while fans say he's "cute as a button," and cheer "more kittens!," most just find themselves wanting to "kick his ass."

Mrs. Tommy?? Is that you?

"Nick" " :raz: "

[bTW. I don't think it's a critics job to check for the sanitation inpection sign, nor delve into the past in order to make the sanitation record part of the review.]

I was not implying it is. I just wanted to note that despite its 3 star rating, it consistently has health violations.

Nick, I realize that many restaurants will have 1 violation or even 2 within a year, but the number of violations that Baumgart's Cafe has is way above the norm.

I do not worry about a place that has a violation and then takes care of the problem, but 5 violations whoa this is just too much for me to swallow.

Myself, I don't place much stock in Record restaurant reviews.

With the exceptions of Jeff Page, Lindy Washburn, and Pat Mack, they are all written by woefully underpaid freelancers of dubious background and unfathomable taste.

And Nick, I've had that chicken salad sandwich, and it is very, very good. (I get extra mayo on the side, though!)

Oh! :smacking self on head:

Are these *real* quotes culled from various messages? :shock::unsure::huh: