• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bronte Pistachios

John DePaula

The cost of Bronte Pistachios is sky-high. Anyone know of a wholesale source?

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

The cost of Bronte Pistachios is sky-high.  Anyone know of a wholesale source?

Not a wholesale source, but the price is OK (at least, compared to the places selling them for $60/lb): BuonItalia

It says they are peanuts, but they sure look like pistachios to me...

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

The cost of Bronte Pistachios is sky-high.  Anyone know of a wholesale source?

Not a wholesale source, but the price is OK (at least, compared to the places selling them for $60/lb): BuonItalia

It says they are peanuts, but they sure look like pistachios to me...

Thanks, yes I found kalustyans (same price / lb) and buonitalia. They say they have wholesale pricing but I'm having difficulty getting the actual pricing from them...

Thanks, Chris.

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I'm gonna play the dumb guy here, and ask what it is about Bronte Pistachios that makes them so special? I know they come from a special place in Italy and that they need to marked DOP. But I googled an article which said Bronte pistachios are "sold at about 5.00 to 7.00 euro per kilo with shell and at 12.00 to 15.00 without it. "

And the link Chris posted said they were "Price: $16.45" per pound. Where did the $60.00 come from?

I never heard of them before, and was just wondering if this is something I needed to try before I shuffle off this mortal coil?. :)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I'm gonna play the dumb guy here, and ask what it is about Bronte Pistachios that makes them so special? I know they come from a special place in Italy and that they need to marked DOP. But I googled an article which said Bronte pistachios are "sold  at about 5.00 to 7.00 euro per kilo with shell and at 12.00 to 15.00 without it. "

And the link Chris posted said they were "Price: $16.45" per pound. Where did the $60.00 come from?

I never heard of them before, and was just wondering if this is something I needed to try before I shuffle off this mortal coil?. :)

The link that Chris posted was for in-shell pistachios. And the wt. wasn't specified. The ones I looked at are $26.35 per 0.4 lbs. or $65.88 per lb.

The reading I've done says that the Bronte pistachio is one of the most flavorful - much more so than the California pistachios which are pretty and mild. I've only had the CA variety, and I like them, but I'd now like to try the Bronte.

John DePaula
--------------------

The reading I've done says that the Bronte pistachio is one of the most flavorful - much more so than the California pistachios which are pretty and mild.  I've only had the CA variety, and I like them, but I'd now like to try the Bronte.

What about Turkish pistachios? How do they differ from California, in terms of taste?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

The reading I've done says that the Bronte pistachio is one of the most flavorful - much more so than the California pistachios which are pretty and mild.  I've only had the CA variety, and I like them, but I'd now like to try the Bronte.

What about Turkish pistachios? How do they differ from California, in terms of taste?

Not to put down the CA pistachios, but from everything I've read, they're cultivated to be pretty and/or large instead of flavorful. (Welcome to US agriculture).

I remember eating pistachios as a child and they were fantastic. I'm pretty sure they were Iranian since the US hadn't started growing them until around the late 70s. The CA ones I eat today are a shadow of what I remember...

In terms of flavor, from most flavorful to least (to be taken with a grain of salt):

• Bronte and/or Iranian (unlikely you'll be able to get Iranian pistachios any time soon, eh)
  • Turkish and Syrian
  • Californian

John DePaula
--------------------