• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cloning Boar's Head honey maple turkey breast

jmolinari

This turkey is actually very Ham-like...tasty too. I would definatly brine maybe with that starting to carry the maple flavor. Then you will need to slow roast and baste often to develope the shellack for lack of a better term on the skinlees meat.

Let us now as you go forward

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I wonder if sous vide could come in handy here...

I agree. I've had some great results with sous-vide turkey breasts.... Often commented how the texture was like lunch meat without all the chemicals. But I have no idea how to duplicate the taste. I'd suggest starting with what makes sense, and running a few tests.

• 4 months later...

Reviving this old topic, as i've just gotten around to starting some trials.

1/2 boneless turkey breast - 1.5 lbs or so

30g honey

30g maple syrup

6g salt.

All into a vac bag, and sous vided at 146 for 2.5 hours.

Good turkey, no flavor of honey or maple syrup what so ever.

next trial will be brining in a honey/maple/salt solution.

jason