• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Columbia Tower Club

I've been invited to have dinner tomorrow night at the Columbia Tower Club. Does anyone know what they serve and what I should expect? It's a regular private dinner, not part of any catered event.

I have heard about the famous bathroom stalls with the floor-to-ceiling windows that expose you to all of Seattle (except that Seattle can't see you when you're that high up).

Should be interesting. Any feedback today or tomorrow will be appreciated!

Kathy

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

It's been a while since I've eaten there, but I can't imagine that it has changed tremendously. The food is about what I think you would expect from a private club. It's all nicely executed and presented, but don't expect anything terribly creative. Things are done in a very traditional and choreographed way. The corporation that runs the club prescribes every detail of the service, so I could probably tell you up front what to expect, down to how your bottle of wine will be opened and presented, but that would spoil the surprise. The only reason I know this stuff is that my wife worked for a sister club in Bellevue for a number of years. My guess is that you will enjoy the evening, but will be very interested to hear what your reaction is to the food and the environment. Enjoy!

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Thanks, tighe! I'm not expecting it to be anything super exciting (except for that pressing-up-against-the-glass thing, heh-heh). I assume it's somewhat stuffy. The people I'm going with aren't, though.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Kathy, I'm envious. I've always thought it would be wonderful to dine up there, especially for the view, and to use the ladies room which is infamous. I've read that it is one stall in particular with the best view, so you will have to check out each and everyone of them. Let me know if you feel any swaying up there. I don't think it will be too bad. Hubby's company designed the bldg. and I even did some drafting on it (later renovations)... so you will be safe & sound up there, even (and especially) if the big one hits.

The worst private club I've ever dined in before was the WAC (Washington Athletic Club). It was really horrible. I enjoyed better meals at The Harbor Club, The Women's Club, and the Rainier Club. I especially liked the Rainier Club. Nice historic photographs, fabulous fireplace room, and the smoked chicken luncheon was actually very tasty...I cleaned my plate.

Please let us know how the food was. I think Tighe is probably right on target food-wise.

I believe we had one of our pointless annual company retreats at the Columbia Tower Club. The view is amazing, but they served us build-your-own sandwiches in the meeting room, so don't ask me about the food. The men's room had a mechanical shoe shiner and some nice complementary toiletries.

One thing my wife just reminded me of is that if MrRamsey is going, he needs to wear a coat and tie. Otherwise he will be given one out of the closet of misfit clothes. No one wants to go there...

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

One thing my wife just reminded me of is that if MrRamsey is going, he needs to wear a coat and tie.  Otherwise he will be given one out of the closet of misfit clothes.  No one wants to go there...

That was very kind -- thanks! But he's not going. He's in SF. Wonder what their dress code for women might be . . .

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

MsR,

Can we get a run-down on how your dinner was? I'm very curious to get your take on the Club. Thanks....

Sorry I haven’t responded to this sooner. The dinner at the Columbia Tower was as expected, with the inevitable Wow Factor of being 75 floors above the city. We were a group of 12 and had a private dining room with a view facing south. We could see the Mariners game in progress, and The Mountain was out. We started with drinks and some large seafood platters. These platters consisted of shrimp, small squares of smoked trout, some loose crab meat (no crackers -- I guess one could to use the “bread”), and what the server called oysters. They were not oysters; they were mussels. I love raw oysters, so I would have been happy with oysters. The table bread is basically a very thin, hard cracker. It looks like sourdough bread that is very thinly sliced, sprinkled with hard cheese, broiled, and let harden. They serve it with butter, but it’s not the kind of bread you’d normally put butter on. I had the prime rib, which was very tender and good. I love beef and thought it would be a safe way to go. Someone ordered the ahi tuna; she didn’t realize it would be served rare because she’s not accustomed to such things, but she liked it. I had the molten chocolate torte for dessert. It was good but had been cooked too long (it wasn’t molten enough in the middle). It was served with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream. Frankly, by this time we had been there for 3 hours. Since we had a private room and a bunch of snarky comedians in the bunch, we were slightly out of hand. The martinis, wine, and champagne didn’t help matters. The martinis, BTW, were strong and very tasty. That’s a requirement for a snooty private club.

There are signs outside of the ladies’ rooms asking that gentleman stay out. Those bathrooms are infamous, I guess. The host at Vivenda the next day told me that he had been recently thrown out of the ladies' room.

The friend who invited me is considering joining the club, so maybe I’ll be going again sometime!

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I thought about baring my ass. Sadly, however, the window wasn't facing Mark Sidran's office.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I thought about baring my ass.  Sadly, however, the window wasn't facing Mark Sidran's office.

Hopefully you said this loudly as you were walking out of the Club! I'm sure most of the membership are Sidran supporters, assuming they actually live in the City....

ooooh... such animosity for Sidran. I guess that means you like my (W. Seattle) neighbor Mayor Greg? Not to mention the guy that replaced Sidran for City Atty lives a few doors down (really nice guy). 3 cheers for W. Seattle! :raz: I like Sidran though. Heck, I like everybody (almost).

ooooh... such animosity for Sidran.  I guess that means you like my (W. Seattle) neighbor Mayor Greg?  Not to mention the guy that replaced Sidran for City Atty lives a few doors down (really nice guy).  3 cheers for W. Seattle!  :raz:  I like Sidran though.  Heck, I like everybody (almost).

Heh, before you start getting too happy about West Seattle, that's also where Charlie Chong lives! :wacko:

ooooh... such animosity for Sidran.  I guess that means you like my (W. Seattle) neighbor Mayor Greg?  Not to mention the guy that replaced Sidran for City Atty lives a few doors down (really nice guy).  3 cheers for W. Seattle!  :raz:  I like Sidran though.  Heck, I like everybody (almost).

Naaah, just said it to get a laugh, BH! I don't have any more love for Mr. Nickels than I do for Mr. Sidran. :laugh:

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

• 4 weeks later...

Last weekend I was at a birthday party and I met Chef Ken of the Columbia Tower Club. He's a really nice guy and we talked a lot about, guess what, food! He gave me some pointers on what creme brulee is supposed to look like and a new idea I had never thought to do with my smoker. But that's our little secret and I won't be trying it until I get my cold smoker up and running. If it's a success, y'all get to try it. When I was talking about how much smoking I do, Ken's SO turned and asked if I was in the business! Ken also drives a Chrysler so he's pretty cool in my book.