• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Demystifying Wine Expertise in

Don Giovanni

Demystifying Wine Expertise in Expert and Novice Wine Judges

Demystifying Wine Expertise: Olfactory Threshold, Perceptual Skill and Semantic Memory in Expert and Novice Wine Judges

I found this study fascinating ...read it and then read it again...it's very thought provoking...how we communicate is key toward getting to the real olfactory facts...experts don't have to think about how to communicate, thus they are more accurate...my conclusion is when you write tasting notes and judge wine just write what you think at the time...don't worry about the verbiage or you will lose the note...

Although language serves memory well under many situations, language may also be an insidious source of memory disruption in situations for which it is not well suited, such as when remembering smells. The type and degree of disruption appear dependent on an individual's domain-specific expertise. It is conceivable that in some areas of expertise, semantic memory plays a large role in the early stages of skill development, but that qualitatively different processes are involved subsequently as expertise advances

Click On Me

Details of odorants employed as materials...

Click On Me

When forced to identify the odorants, experts' superior perceptual skills protected them from verbal interference, whereas novices' generated verbal representations of the odours were emphasized at the expense of the odorant itself. This has implications for training in wine-evaluation skills.