• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thyme on the Ocean

EMILSHELLBORN

I am new to the Comox Valley, just recently opening a new restaurant called Thyme on the Ocean. I have worked as a Chef in many different areas including Europe and decided on this area due to the produce. Is anyone familiar with the area??? I love it, we use local Buffalo Mozzarella, purple snow peas, fresh wasabi, loads of wild pine mushrooms, etc.... Pork, Poultry, Organic Vegetables that are absolutely beautiful. I am curious about this areas exposure elsewhere, what have you heard???

Emil

Emil:

Good luck with your venture.

Truth be told, I am not particularly familiar with the Comox area. Although we go to the Island at least a couple of times a year we have not spent much time in the Comox/Courtenay region. We usually visit Tofino/Ucluelet [in fact driving out on Thanksgiving week-end] and Victoria so am more familiar with them.

Most of my admittedly limited knowledge of the area comes from reading EAT Magazine which usually has some "up island" info.

I know more and more Albertans [like me] are becoming interested in the area now that WestJet services Comox with direct flights.

The list of ingredients you cited sound wonderful. I am hoping it has not been too rainey as I love my wild mushrooms especially yellow chanterelles and matsutake [they are pine mushrooms are they not] and usually by the time we get to Tofino the shop off the highway near the turn in to Chesterman Beach has them available.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Sorry for the long delay in reply. Yes that is the Japanese name for Pine Mushroom. I have also recently discovered Cauliflower Mushrooms (Hen of the Woods) in the area... and a few Porcini earlier in the year. I am from Manitoba so even though I found these beauties I am sad that I do not see Morels. Do you know of any on the Island???

Yes I know, do you know if they are found in this area though, I have not met with anyone confirming that yet.

Certainly! I can confirm this. There were some decent forest fires this summer, that means more morels next spring! Burn baby, burn.

-- Matt.