• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Teflon Worms - Do they peel?

Defreckled

I'm planning on buying a Laguiole grand cru corkscrew in olive wood for my husband's 30th birthday. The olive wood version only comes with a teflon worm, and I'm concerned that the teflon will soon begin to peel. The boxwood version comes without the teflon, but it isn't quite as pretty.

Does anyone here have any experience with the longevity of teflon worms? Should I just avoid potential problems and go for the boxwood? I searched google but only found one person who said that teflon worms (not necessarily Laguiole) can peel with synthetic corks.

Thanks!

The teflon does eventually wear out but how quickly depends what you are opening with it. If you avoid the dumpy plastic/synthetic corks it should last quite a bit longer. Mine is still mostly intact after opening several hundred bottles.