• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi in the South Bay

sychocism

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I've found this site extremely helpful in my quest for good food in Northern NJ and I'm sure the California board is no different.

I'm looking to take a couple of friends who are getting married out for dinner and sushi is what they have selected. Are there any good places out in the South Bay? They live in Santa Clara so we're looking to travel no more than 20 minutes. Thanks!

My favorite is Yuki Sushi, little place, lot of character, fills up early, corner of Winchester & Pruneridge, just north of Stevens Creek near the mall.

Fantastic sushi & sashimi, and a more traditional Japanese menu for those so inclined.

It's also less than a mile from Santana Row, where you can get coffee or desert after.

My favorite is Yuki Sushi, little place, lot of character, fills up early, corner of Winchester & Pruneridge, just north of Stevens Creek near the mall.

Fantastic sushi & sashimi, and a more traditional Japanese menu for those so inclined.

It's also less than a mile from Santana Row, where you can get coffee or desert after.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm definitely looking for authentic Japanese, as I am somewhat spoiled residing in New York and being able to find places that are owned by the Japanese rather than another ethnic group.

How crowded would the place be on a Tuesday night around 8?

If you're not worried about price, then Kaygetsu would be your best bet in SiliValley.

Kaygetsu

They are in Menlo Park...a little further than 20 minutes, but not by much.

There's a little place, more of a hole in the wall in Los Altos. It is behind Los Altos Grill on (near) 3rd street. I can't remember the name of the place, but I have eaten there and it is decent to good.

Overall, after having lived in New York City for four years, I've been pretty disappointed in the quality of the sushi down here. San Francisco has some better offerings, but New York has a surprising number of very good neighborhood places along with the several really great places that just can't be beat.

If you're not worried about price, then Kaygetsu would be your best bet in SiliValley.

Kaygetsu

They are in Menlo Park...a little further than 20 minutes, but not by much.

There's a little place, more of a hole in the wall in Los Altos.  It is behind Los Altos Grill on (near) 3rd street.  I can't remember the name of the place, but I have eaten there and it is decent to good.

Overall, after having lived in New York City for four years, I've been pretty disappointed in the quality of the sushi down here.  San Francisco has some better offerings, but New York has a surprising number of very good neighborhood places along with the several really great places that just can't be beat.

I definitely agree. I live minutes away from the east village and the number of restaurants just on st. marks probably outnumbers the total number of Japanese restaurants in whole cities.

I always look at the menu before I go. If I see dishes that normally isn't on a true Japanese menu, I don't bother to go at all.