• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deserted Barcelona in August

With a bottle of wine, and some good but not more than that, dessert, the final bill came at 70 euros per person which I thought was a bit too expensive for what we had, but maybe my expectations for food prices in Spain were out of sync with reality.

Very surprising, this. We paid under €50 per person only last month. Did you have a very expensive wine?

I don't think so, we had a bottle of the basic Tinto Pesquera 2001. It was 26 euros or so on the list. My colleague was so happy about the chuleton that he was quite willing to forgive the high cost, I was in a less charitable mood. I am now looking at the Viridiana bill and it was only ten euros per person more expensive (but with more expensive wine as well).

Francesco

Great to read of your dining experience in MAdrid, I live in Barcelona but was in Madrid for almost a year too! Not too familiar with all of these places you visited however some I know. Just out of curiosity, did you not visit the small famous caves up on Plaza Espana, very touristy yes, but a must do in MAdrid, each cave has a theme, one is omeletes, other is mushrooms, seafood, Jamon serrano etc, they are a trip worth. You bascially spend some three hours cave hopping, sampling small tapas and lots of wine!!! Great fun!

About eggs and asparagus, make yourself a typical dish from here (BCN) revoltillo de esparagos ... like scrambled eggs with mushrooms/fungi and or asparagus with some fine cut spring oinion for the taste and all lightly sauteed, ohhh delitious.

HAve a great day!!!

NUSSAH

Barcelona

Just out of curiosity, did you not visit the small famous caves up on Plaza Espana, very touristy yes, but a must do in MAdrid, each cave has a theme, one is omeletes, other is mushrooms, seafood, Jamon serrano etc, they are a trip worth. You bascially spend some three hours cave hopping, sampling small tapas and lots of wine!!! Great fun!

NUSSAH, are you referring to the many cafes and restaurants on the plaza level, or to the ones on a lower level that surround the plaza. It's on the lower level that we found the bars that meet your description. Even better yet however, were the bars a few blocks away on and around Cava Baja, inour opinion.

Edit: Apologies to all. Those "caves" so matched the bars that Mrs. B was introduced to by a relative living in Madrid many years ago and to which we returned some years later, but still quite a few years ago, that I read Plaza Mayor where you wrote Plaza Espana. The Plaza de España is of course a different place and not one I particularly associate with tourists, although I don't really know it.

Edited by Bux (log)

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I've been following this thread with interest since I'll be in Madrid for 3 days mid September. Been quite a while since I've been to Madrid so I'm not at all familiar with the current dining scene. Some good suggestions upthread and it looks like Viridiana is a must. A couple of questions......

I'll be travelling / dining solo. When doing so, I prefer, if the option is available, to dine at the bar. Is that possible and appropriate at Viridiana?

I'll be staying at the Palace Hotel. How convenient is Viridiana to the Palace?

Any other recs in the area of the Palace are appreciated.

Thanks very much.

dls, it's not possible to dine at the bar in Viridiana since they don't have anything that could be considered as such. However, Viridiana welcomes solo diners.

Answering to your second question, Viridiana is within walking distance (five minutes if you're not fast) from the Palace Hotel.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

As I recall, if one takes a left from the main entrance to the Hotel Palace, and continues for maybe three blcoks or so, one finds oneself on a street with many bars all offering tapas of some sort. I haven't really traversed that street in a while in the evening, but I think they're all still there. Years ago we found them inviting. I'd place them a distance behind the bars we tried in and round the Cava Baja though.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Thanks Bux and thanks again Pedro. Because of my schedule, my preference would be for Sat, 18 Sept. So it's probably in my best interest to be a little pre-mature with the reservation.

BUx, my apologies!!! It is Plaza Mayor im talking about, sorry, so many squares in MAdrid and Barcelona, but they are completley opposite in popularity so easily confusing. Yes, i meant the caves under the square, the small themed ones, I see you know them well. Do you know the restaurant, cant remember the name now ... walking down form the Plaza on the left hand side after the caves??? HIGHLY recomendable restaurant, usually fully booked a week in advance but my mind has gone completley blank. You walk in a small door, windows out to the side street, its on the walking street before coming down to normal streets with cars etc, sorry, will work my brain or ask my sister, but for anyone going to Madrid centre, this is higly recomendable... unless its almost been menitoned prior to my joining!!! Typical for its COCHINILLO and CARNE A LA BRASA etc, Grilled meats!!!

NUSSAH

Barcelona

• 2 years later...

hi does anybody know of any foodie spots still open in august, as i`m there for a couple of days second week in august and ive tried all the usual suspects, moo,abac, cinc, lasarte, commerc, alkimia, and im running out of ideas, i know its not the best time to visit but its tied in with an el bulli booking

any one help please?