• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cornbread buns

madtowner

Hi all - I didn't want to hijack the recent cornbread thread, but I'm looking for a recipe for a cornbread bun. Its got to be a little sturdier, less crumbly, but still have the good corn flavor. Perhaps cut the cornmeal with flour and use a yeast bread recipe?

My idea was for pulled pork sandwiches on cornbread buns.

thanks for the insights...

When you speak of cornbread, I assume you mean the quick-bread, Southern US kind. I think I tried using cornbread for pulled pork sandwiches once, but found the cornbread annoyingly crumbly, and an interference to the enjoyment of the pork.

However, I have also used a completely different animal, Portuguese cornbread (my favourite bread in the world) with pulled pork. I think it's fantastic. I'm sure it doesn't really go with the theme you're thinking of, but if you have time and inclination, try the Portuguese cornbread. You won't regret the decision!

Hi all - I didn't want to hijack the recent cornbread thread, but I'm looking for a recipe for a cornbread bun.  Its got to be a little sturdier, less crumbly, but still have the good corn flavor.  Perhaps cut the cornmeal with flour and use a yeast bread recipe?

My idea was for pulled pork sandwiches on cornbread buns. 

thanks for the insights...

The cornmeal will screw up the rising by lowering the gluten content. How about a standard bun recipe with added creamed corn? Rolled in corn meal before baking.

The recipe for these Cumin Cornmeal Buns looks similar to one I had gotten from KAF a long time ago but apparently lost. :wacko:

They only have 1 C Cornmeal to 6 C Flour, but these buns seem like they would be perfect for pulled pork? :biggrin:

NOTE: King Arthur Flour used to include recipes with every ingredient ordered. I'd saved all the sheets, but had forgotten about them for a few years.

I just dug them out, and found the Cumin Cornmeal Buns with Green Chili-Cheese Butter recipe, which is identical to the one previously cited. That being the case, I can highly recommend it. :cool:

SB (will put it on my own schedule in fact :wink: )

Edited by srhcb (log)