• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Wines from the road

Florida Jim

2006 Ravelli, Soave Colli Scaligeri:

Fresh, bright, almost salty minerality and enough body to stand with a pasta dish that included olives. Very clean and of its place. 12.5% alcohol, under screw cap, imported by Opici Wine Co. and about $12; I’d buy it again.

2005 Paul Pernot, Bourgogne:

Lightweight, crisp, but well flavored Burgundy that goes well with both seafood and smoked duck – and that’s pretty good range, IMO. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner; I’d buy it again.

2004 A. & M. Tissot, Arbois (Poulsard) sans soufre:

More herbaceous than the last bottle but so lively and fresh; ripe red fruit and a really nice wine with some goat cheese and crackers.

I tasted some older CA cabernets with friends this week. Each showed substantial bottle bouquet, secondary development of flavors and pretty fair balance. But none showed any real complexity or depth and were, ultimately, boring.

1985 Dominus:

The worst of the three, this may have been a compromised bottle; tinny, rustic tannins and a bit thin.

1983 Diamond Creek, Volcanic Hill:

Sound wine but relatively simple and still not fully resolved. Better with food but forgettable.

1985 Dunn, Napa Valley:

The best of the three with more sweetness and a round feeling in the mouth. Pretty much resolved and texturally pleasant.

None of these was really interesting and we may have gotten to them too early as I have had some ‘70’s CA cabs. in the past year that have made these seem closed and too firm.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com