• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fedex Periship

budrichard

Food on the Internet is agreat resource as one can now have food items available from many sources. I get lots of perishable items shipped from all parts of the US. Some comes by UPS, some DHL and some FedEx. UPS invariably arrived next day but always late in the day. Many times I swore the item was not going to show up but it did, late in the evening. Sometimes DHL has arrived 3 days later and the item is waste. FedEx always arrives the next AM without fail. WE just got a shipment from Russ & Daughters out of New York City. It was picked up by FedEx at 5:05Pm which I assume is EST. It arrived at 9:07CST today. The package was in excellent external condition as were the items within still chilled. UPS packages invariably arrive with some sort of damage externally.

It appears that PeriShip has partnered with FedEx http://www.periship.com .

The items were cold smoked salmon, herrings and other accompanyments for Lox & Bagels on Mother's Day. Not something that withstand high temps.

From now on, no DHL, UPS for only items that can withstand being tossed around and not extremely perishable and FedEx PeriShip will be the rule for perishable items.-Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)

The last 3 packages that I recieved were mandatory signature, which in one case meant waiting 5 days including "first notice" (never got that one) second notice, Fedex physically moving their NNJ Hub over a weekend and finally someone at Fedex even knowing where the Hub was now.

So in brief this may be a question to ask when ordering food...""Will I need to sign for this???""

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association