• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pierre Herme Pistachio Goo

sugarseattle

On my last day in Paris, sad to be leaving, but oh so inspired by the wonderful pastry I have sampled here.

At Pierre Herme, I had what I believe to be a Montebello. It was pistachio dacquoise, pistachio "mousseline", & fresh strawberries. It was beautiful, delectable. It's the little guy in the front right in this pic http://www.johnmccaig.com/index.php?showimage=252

Anyhow, that pistachio "mousseline" was not light like a mousse, not overly creamy like a pastry cream, super super smooth. It was like velvet. I also had the Violet Religieuse at Les Gateaux et de Pain with a similarly textured preparation, only it was either strawberry or violet (or both).

I want to use it as a starting point for a recipe idea. What is it?

Merci

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

Pierre a similar cake in his book 'The patisserie of Pierre Herme". Can't recommend this book enough. $150 or so, but worth every penny. The recipe in the book uses genoise instead of dacquoise.

Pierre's recipe is 1:5 pastry cream to butter cream plus pistachio paste. He has different mousseline creams in the book that use different ratios.

Edited by ejw50 (log)