• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kentucky Derby 2007

Here's an article on chef Gil Logan's preparations for Queen Elizabeth's visit to the Derby and her meal there: click

Eleven months ago, chef Gil Logan planned a menu for the 155,000 horse racing fans at Saturday's Kentucky Derby. But when he heard that Britain's Queen Elizabeth might be coming he called Buckingham Palace.

Would the monarch eat the barbecue shrimp and Kentucky-style pole beans he was serving, or should the southern-style chef start researching cucumber sandwiches and high tea?

"Her officials were great. They'd already Googled me, and said they wanted to experience the real Kentucky Derby," Logan said.

“I didn’t have to change a thing.”

The palace didn't request high tea, but Logan will have scones and finger sandwiches, and he developed an Earl Grey tea in case the monarch wants a cuppa.

"I'm not going to get Kentucky with her tea. I'm sticking with India and Asia, where tea is supposed to come from," said Logan, producing a tin of Earl Grey created for her visit

The menu:

Barbecue shrimp,

Bibb salad topped with sliced strawberries, almonds and feta cheese

"Country" Cassoulet of braised chicken, duck, black-eyed peas, country ham and vegetables,

Roast Chicken Breast topped with wild shiitake mushroom cream sauce,

western Kentucky-style pole beans with fried onions and smoked ham hocks

Silks Cookies

Mint julep strawberries with spring biscuits.

Does anyone know what Silks cookies are? Are they traditional to Kentucky or the Derby? I couldn't find out much about them on the net.

Comments on the menu?

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I do a Derby parety every year, but when it falls on the 5th, it's a combination party - Cinco de Derby.

This year's Menu:

Original Recipe Mint Juleps in Silver Goblets

Corona and Pacifico Clara with lime

Homemade Chili

Crispy Cauliflower

Lamb Burgers with Harissa Dressing on Cumin Bun

Vidalia Onion Sandwiches

Chicken Pistachio Roll-ups

Taleggio & Pear Panini

Grilled Mexican Potato & Chorizo Pizza

Beer-Battered Shrimp with Chipotle-Honey Sauce

Oyster-Corn Fritters

Roasted Poblano Quesadilla

Italian Stuffed Olives

Frosted Egg Mountain

Kentucky Derby Franks in Bourbon Glaze

Fried Calamari

Peanut Butter/Jelly Ice Cream Sandwiches - Homemade Ice Cream & Cookie Tops

Margarita Popsicles

Buttery Bittersweet Mascarpone Truffles

Haven't picked the winner yet, but leaning to a long shot.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Your menu looks fabulous! Wish I were coming. We finally get to attend our friends' annual Derby party after a two year absence due to travel. They have a huge spread of traditional KY food and lots and lots of juleps. They have a huge collection of Derby glasses that they serve the juleps in and each couple gets a certain year so you can remember whose is whose. They order up a bunch of merchandise from the Churchill Downs website and give away fabulous prizes to win/place/show and then for last place.

I'ts loads of fun and we are glad to be able to attend again. Let's hope traffic isn't to merciless with Don Ho's memorial service down in Waikiki that day. I know, I know it's in the afternoon but over 25,000 are expected to attend so they'll be getting there early. That's the one thing about the time zones, it's an amazing thing to start drinking at 10:00 am (those lovely juleps) as that's when brunch starts prior to post time :biggrin:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I been to three Derbys when I worked for ABC Sports and I believe it's the most exciting sporting event in the world. Now that I own horses, my dream is to have shot at winning one year - but it's the longest of shots.

So each year I throw a Derby party and unpack the Silver Goblets hoping someday to grace Louisville with horse who has a chance.

For now, I'll sip a Maker's Mark and have some of my own Chili Burgoo.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

And with 20 horses going to post this year, Rich, surely you must have a few nice picks that ought to get 10 or 20 to 1...christ, even the fave should be 4 or 5 to 1 (and we know how often the favorite wins the Derby)!!

As an aside, last year my cross the hall neighbor had the winner, hit the tri and a piece of the super and walked away with over $20K!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?