• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Mostly pinot

Florida Jim

2005 J.J. Christoffel, Riesling Kabinett Erdener Treppchen:

A little more than off-dry if you ask me but it has good acidity, decent minerality and lovely, floral fruit. Its fun to drink but only in small doses as I think the sweetness is a little more than the prädikat can bear. A.P. 2-602-041-003-06, 9% alcohol, imported by Michael Skurnik and price unknown.

2000 Hamacher, Pinot Noir:

Day one: very dark aromatics, slightly closed, some smoke scents; smoky and black fruited palate with glimpses of depth but little verve or juiciness; medium finish. Not it’s best showing but it does seem closed down.

Day two: still dark but more black raspberry than black hole and not as smoky; juicier fruit on the palate with a brightness that wasn’t there yesterday and a more open, generous palate displaying good depth and density; longer in the finish. What a difference a day makes!

Do not open this wine now. It needs a couple years to sort itself out but it has everything required or desired to be marvelous when it does reemerge. 13% alcohol and about $40 on release.

2004 Dom. Leroy, Bourgogne:

It’s hard to put into words what this wine delivers. There is immense character on the nose with an aged Burgundy smell that is both alluring and astonishingly complex; although not fully open on the palate, its deep, focused, character driven, balanced and nuanced; very long and layered. This bottling (a “domaine” in this vintage) contains grapes from Pommard "Vignots", Savigny "Narbantons", Volnay "Santentots", Clos Vougeot, Clos de la Roche and Corton-Renardes and none of those appellations will be bottled by themselves in 2004.

The most impressive young Burgundy I have tasted and one that shows both a youthful firmness and a mature aromatic profile. Memorable wine, to say the very least. About $70 on release, this is already selling for $100 or more. And here’s the kicker; it’s easily worth it!

1998 Lafarge, Bourgogne:

Another black hole type of wine on day one; a little fruit peeking through but mostly about structure. On day two, its what I’d asked for; solid black fruit with red fruit accents, some spice and a nice supple texture. Distinctly Burgundy and substantial. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Chelsea Ventures and about $15 on sale.

1999 Chevillon, Nuits-St.-Georges Les Pruliers:

The blackest of black holes; very firm and not giving much on either the nose or palate; structure to go a very long time, I’d say but opening this now was a mistake. About $42, on release.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

2005 J.J. Christoffel, Riesling Kabinett Erdener Treppchen:

A little more than off-dry if you ask me but it has good acidity, decent minerality and lovely, floral fruit. Its fun to drink but only in small doses as I think the sweetness is a little more than the prädikat can bear. A.P. 2-602-041-003-06, 9% alcohol, imported by Michael Skurnik and price unknown.

Emphasis mine.

Jim,

I'm wondering if Christoffel (and perhaps other producers) produced kabinetten that were really declassified spatlesen or auslesen. The 9% alcohol may be a clue. It wouldn't be the first time.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I'm wondering if Christoffel (and perhaps other producers) produced kabinetten that were really declassified spatlesen or auslesen.  The 9% alcohol may be a clue.  It wouldn't be the first time.

I talked to David Bueker about it (heaven knows he has more German wine than anyone else in the U.S.) and he says just wait 5 years to get the baby fat off of it. But he too thinks the declass is the reason it shows as it does today.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim,

Thanks for the Leroy note. I jumped on some 04 Vosne Romanee on closeout for a "good" price but I hear they're shut down so I'll wait a bit. Sounds like I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the Bourgogne...if you say it's worth $70 then I take note!

Rob