• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Centenaire, Les Eyzies, Dordogne

carlux

For those of you planning to try the former Michelin 2-star restaurant in Les Eyzies, Le Centenaire, a warning that the restaurant has closed. The hotel is still open, but for sale.

Roland Mazere, chef and owner, says he has worked for 40 years to keep the restaurant open, but has no one to pass it on to - and can't compete with restaurants backed by rich corporations. Apparently he was told by the Michelin inspectors that he was not far off a third star, but could never come up with the investment that this would require. So, at the age of 60, he has decided to close down.

The current red guide lists the hotel, but doesn't make any reference to the restaurant being closed, which could be confusing for those planning a visit. Nor does the Centenaire web site .http://www.hotelducentenaire.fr/

If you want to read an interview with Roland Mazere, in French, have a look at http://tinyurl.com/2gzcza

That is very said.

Had one of the best dishes in my life there.... It was a risotto "cake" topped with foie gras and langustines and a bit of shaved black truffle... sauce maderia...

That was like 10 years ago - and I still remember it!!!!

Roland Mazere, chef and owner, says he has worked for 40 years to keep the restaurant open, but has no one to pass it on to - and can't compete with restaurants backed by rich corporations. Apparently he was told by the Michelin inspectors that he was not far off a third star, but could never come up with the investment that this would require. So, at the age of 60, he has decided to close down. 

This is a troubling observation. In an interview in April 2007 "Thuries Gastronomie", Jean-Luc Naret of Guide Michelin states that stars are determined by the quality of products, of cooking and flavors, the personality of the cuisine, the quality-price ratio and consistency of these qualities. He emphasizes these essential points by adding that decor, nappery, number of servers do not count toward stars. I wonder what Mazere invisaged as necessary for his being granted a third star. I wonder what the inspectors invisaged.

eGullet member #80.