• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

splenda in baklava

thecuriousone

Hi All-

I cut the recipe out of Gourmet magazine for the baklava and wondered it splenda could be used for the syrup. The syrup has no responsibilities outside of sweetening the dish and since I know that I would have to sleep in front of the fridge to keep my diabetic husband out of it, I'm just trying to use this option if it is available to me.

Thanks for any observations that you can offer

Well, you can't make syrup with Splenda, which you already know, I'm sure. You might thicken it with arrowroot or something and get some consistency that way. How about a good quality sugar free syrup instead? ED Smith makes a good one. Or perhaps one of those coffee flavouring syrups in a sugar free flavour?

You could sub Splenda for the granulated sugar in the recipe...you probably do that a lot so might not notice it as much as someone who never does.

Personally, as a diabetic, I would prefer a small portion of the real thing to a large portion of the fake, but I am like your husband and would have to be watched :smile:

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I don't think it's as easy as subbing Splenda for sugar. I think the syrup is there for more than just sweetening baklava.

I'm wondering if you could try using some date syrup . . . you'd have to check with your dietitian or doctor, but I know some diabetics can use it. With the right nuts, it could make a really good baklava.

I would go with a good commercial syrup if you have to--but baklava would seem to be one dessert that it wouldn't do to go sugar free with--the crunch, sugar and butter have to be perfectly balanced--not easy to get right with the traditional ingredients.

I've found that you can't replace 100% of the sugar in most recipes, but partial substitution usually comes out all right. I tried brownies with all splenda in it, and they came out very heavy and actually not sweet at all! If I do them again, I would do 2/3 sugar, 1/3 splenda to start with. Anything that needs the properties of sugar needs sugar.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse