• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caveat Emptor

Liza

One chef is quoted in the article as saying that he has no idea how he'd go about getting real wasabi. In case anyone else is in the same boat and would like to get their hands on some, Pacific Farms in Oregon grows the real stuff and sell it online. The difference is really amazing....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Special K: When you're composing or editing a post you can click "Check Message Length" just to the left of the main text window. This gives you a character count, not a word count. But if you divide by about 6 (average English word length of 5 characters plus 1 space) you'll get a decent word-count estimate.

Bux's post was 5351 characters. My method would give an 891 word count. Actual word count on the post, tested in MS Word, is 945. Close enough though not exact.

I use a lot of ten cent words when I post on the net.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.