• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winemaker Ernest Gallo Dies at 97

ludja

Here is one write up summarizing the highlights of his life.

Ernest Gallo

Gallo, who would have been 98 on March 18, was born near Modesto, a then-sleepy San Joaquin Valley town about 80 miles east of San Francisco. He and his late brother and business partner, Julio, grew up working in the vineyard owned by their immigrant father who came to America from Italy's famed winemaking region of Piedmont.

They founded the E.&J. Gallo Winery in 1933, at the end of Prohibition, when they were still mourning the murder-suicide deaths of their parents.

Using $5,900 they borrowed and a recipe from the Modesto Public Library, Ernest and Julio rented a ramshackle building, and everybody in the family pitched in to make ordinary wine for 50 cents a gallon - half the going price. The Gallos made $30,000 the first year.

It grew to become the world's largest wine company by volume, a title since taken by Constellation Brands of New York. But Gallo remains second, selling an estimated 75 million cases under more than 40 labels.

Ernest directed sales, devised marketing strategies and kept a short leash on distribution. Julio, who died in 1993, made the wine.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Mr. Gallo was a tough businessman, yes, and a very kind person. Loved his family, loved his wine, loved his land, and cared about the families of his employees. (Plus, he gave a great party, big or little!) My husband worked for him for a while, and Mr. Gallo never failed to ask after my sons, and to tell me how terrific he thought Mr. FFB was and how pleased they were to have us in their community.

I can't believe he was 97 -- I wonder if he was still driving to work in that old Cadillac?

A favorite story of mine explained the lack of signs directing people to the winery in Modesto. When asked, he said, "Why should I put up a sign? I know where it is."

R.I.P., Mr. Gallo.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Many people of my generation and older will remember the long strike against Gallo, but I wonder how many people realize that after the strike was resolved, relations between management and the union eventually became amicable? At least, that's what I remember the reports stating.

Michael aka "Pan"

Mr. Gallo was a tough businessman, yes, and a very kind person. ...

Thanks for sharing this personal story, FabulousFoodBabe. There are often many interesting stories behind dynamic people, but it is wonderful to hear the personal ones as well; especially the postive examples when they exist!

I thought that there might be a number of people on eGullet with personal interactions with Gallo or the company.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

The passing of a legend. Read these excellent articles:

The Life and Times of Ernest Gallo, Steve Heimoff, Wine Enthusiast

The brothers borrowed $5,000 from Ernest’s mother-in-law, supplemented by $1,000 in Ernest’s savings, and learned how to make wine from reading old pamphlets they found in the Modesto Public Library. This was at a time when hundreds of wineries were starting up, many of them run by Italian-Americans just like the young Gallos. By sheer dint of work ethic, Ernest and Julio put in 18-hour days, and they earned a profit their first year of production.

Wine Industry Reacts to the Loss of a Legend

Steve Heimoff compiles comments from people who met or knew Ernest Gallo.

Thoughts on the Passing of Ernest Gallo

Adam Strum, Wine Enthusiast

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook