• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Me Toujours

menton1

I was in South Jersey this past weekend, and decided to try this place. It is touted as a Vietnamese/French fusion restaurant. A BYOB as well, which is nice.

An unlikely place, a strip mall on route 73 in Marlton, but when you get in, it's lovely. Two nice rooms, subdued lighting, real TABLECLOTHS, changed every sitting, and giant picture windows facing trees and lawn. It is set back quite a way from the highway so you see mostly the trees. Excellent low noise level, with a nice CD of Sara Brightman playing in the background. The menu is more french that Vietnamese, but the spices and sauces are definitely Asian-influenced.

WE started with an unusual Seafood Pockets appetizer; this was a seafood mousse, with shrimp and scallops enveloped in a rice-dough pocket, and tied with piece of nori strips. The top was crunchy, and the bottom of the pocket was soft, the mousse was spectacular, as was the tomato-tamarind sauce on the plate. The Spinach Salad was beautiful baby spinach, jicama, and candied macadamia nuts in a terrific peanut vinagrette dressing. A slight kick made it wonderful.

We were tempted to get the Duck for the Main Course, but opted for the Scallops and the Vegetarian Plate instead. Scallops were large, tasty, cooked perfectly with a dollop of whipped potatoes with Asian spices. The Vegetable plate had about 16 different fresh vegetables, long-cut, in an exquisite ginger-soy sauce, with rice. The desserts were traditional French, but we were stuffed so we opted out, just coffee.

All in all, a nice restaurant experience in South Jersey.

Le Mê Toujours

515 Route 73 South

Marlton, N.J.

856-810-2000

Thank you for the review... it sounds similiar to a favorite french/vietnamese place I enjoy, Origins in Somerville.

Just curious, did a non'vegetarian choose the vegetable platter?

Just curious, did a non'vegetarian choose the vegetable platter?

Yes, that's true... interesting that you inferred that...

Well, if you thought to add you were both considering the duck, I assumed vegetables were a preference but not an only option. I'm interested because I love vegetables, and have thought about ordering the veg plate, but usually revert to a meat or fish selection...old habits die hard, I guess. Although I am enjoying meat and fish much more as an accompaniement, as opposed to a MAIN dish...I've moved away from the "meat and pots" concept, but not quite into the "no meat at all" style!

Glad to hear tht your partner enjoyed the veg plate.

I've been raving about this place for awhile. Glad to see someone else agrees with me. My Philadelphia friends claim it's too long a drive (it's all of twenty minutes), but I think it's well worth it.

Their signature dish of Macadamian Nut Crusted Crab Cakes with Wasabi Beurre Blanc is TO DIE FOR. If it's on the menu next time you're there I highly recommend it. It might be a seasonal item though, and I don't remember which season I ordered it. :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I've never had a bad meal here. It's one of the best places in Southern New Jersey. Thank you for saying South Jersey; some of us have been trying to secede from Joyzy for years :)

They do play the "specials game". I'm sure you've had this happen - once. They rattle off the day's specials and you pick one out since it sounds so good. And it is indeed good when you get it! But when the check comes you see that it is 30-40% higher than the most expensive thing on the printed menu. If it were roasted great auk or south african penguin dumplings then maybe you'd be prepared for the price hike but if it were everyday menu ingredients you get a bit steamed. A simple "how much is it"? will fix that.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!