• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I talked to my mom on the phone yesterday and she said she made pat jook for valentine's day dinner

I miss this stuff and haven't had it in like 10 years and I am wondering if any of you know how to make it. I actually forgot to ask my mother for a recipe, because I was in a rush to get off the phone-I'm a bad daughter.

any recipes? are those rice balls made out of mochi? I know

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

hey i can help you with a recipe if no one else does.

someone posted a recipe from a book in english here: http://korean.allfoodrecipe.com/016535.shtml

there are, of course, lots of korean recipes when you search: http://csua.org/u/i25

heres what ive come up with after looking through the first several korean recipes:

basically, boil red beans until they are soft. meanwhile soak sweet rice in a small bowl. (others use plain rice.)

make sae al by mixing mochiko and water. form the sae al into nice little round balls, about the size of dumdums (http://www.dumdumpops.com/).

when the red beans have cooked thoroughly, strain and mash them through a strainer, being careful to reserve the bean water.

add the bean water back to the mashed beans until you are a bit past the consistency you like it. it needs to be more watery since you still have to cook the sweet rice and the sae al. if all the reserved bean water isnt enough, add more water.

now add the soaked sweet rice and the sae al and cook until the sweet rice has expanded until it becomes juk-y and the sae al is soooooft and chewy. that doksuni recipe uses plain ddeok, not sae al. sweeten to taste with sugar, or leave it savoury.

so if no one else comes with a proper recipe and you need help with translation of any particular recipe let me know.

ok.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

i dont know how long this has been true, but its a real nice touch. kind of like gmail.

im talking about the automatic hyperlinkization of the web urls i posted. it used to be they werent done automatically and you had to do each link by hand. what a pain in the ass that was. in fact, today was the first time in years that i was too lazy to add the links. i just posted the links without the code. i figure no one follows through anyway.

and when i posted it, to my surprise they came up automagically, just like they do in gmail.

yay! hoo.ray. for the geeks.

although i did notice if you put a url in quotes it wont do it.

for example:

http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/e-pan/recipe/kashipan.htm

versus

(http://cupcakeblog.com/)

does it work with a period at the end? or two?

http://www.nordljus.co.uk/en/...

what about just a dash in the front?

-http://www.bialetticafe.com/

referring to the last post...........gmail, huh, what? I'm retarded

anyways, thank you for the recipe..sounds fabulous! I searched for the damn recipe on google today and couldn't find crap. Of course I can do a search in korean, but I won't understand it. I can read it, but who the hell knows what I'm reading? also I am not going to ask my mother because I have a hard enough time trying to understand her.

funny story. My mother and I were on the phone and we were talking about steak. All of a sudden the subject changes and she keeps talking about Levi's. I'm like "what do levis have to do with steak?" and she keeps saying "NOT LEVI, LEVI!!!!!!!!!!!"

it took me 10 minutes to realize she was talking about ribeyes. hilarious

also my mother said she uses black rice. Have you ever tried this? is it traditional?

sorry for all the questions, thanks (:

and she keeps saying "NOT LEVI, LEVI!!!!!!!!!!!"
haha... thats great. my mom calls rib eye levi too!
also my mother said she uses black rice.  Have you ever tried this? is it traditional?
in the patjuk?

either way, yes or no, i can safely say that anything with black rice is a recent fashion.

in fact, my mom mentioned black rice just this past christmas!

i wonder if your mom and my mom watch the same ajumma network.

im an ajumma too but i watch ajumma channel 2 (for the gen x ajummas) because i never heard of black rice either until xmas. maybe i should watch chan 1.

Edited by melonpan (log)

Im only 23, so maybe in like 7 years or so I will become an ajumma. I think now I am an agashi (is that correct?) yeah I think "melon pan" mommy and sheena mommy get together and discuss such hot topics as the use of black rice!

Is it really a new thing? My mother makes it once in a blue moon (like once a year randomly) because it is so expensive. I think its around $10-20 for a small tiny bag of rice. She mixes about a tablespoon of black rice into the regular rice and it makes it all purple. I remember her making pat jook only with black rice and never with beans....or maybe it was the other way around, I dont know.

do koreans use black rice for anything else?

You're in maryland, right?

What's an ajumma?

I have to try this. I think I can make do without a recipe, but if anybody would like to contribute one, Please Do!

Um, is sae al like the Chinese glutinous rice ball? Tangyuan?

Does anyone have pics?

And finally, the black rice melonpan and SheenaGreena are talking about...is it glutinous rice or what?

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

What's an ajumma?

I have to try this. I think I can make do without a recipe, but if anybody would like to contribute one, Please Do!

Um, is sae al like the Chinese glutinous rice ball? Tangyuan?

Does anyone have pics?

And finally, the black rice melonpan and SheenaGreena are talking about...is it glutinous rice or what?

ajumma is what you call older women. Its similar to the word ma'm.

I have no clue what a tangyuan is, but I know that the glutinous rice balls are similar to mochi.

I don't know if the black rice is glutinous or not. I just know that when you buy a tiny bag of black rice at the korean grocery store it is $10 for a pound, but when you buy it at the chinese grocery store it is like $2 for a pound. I am assuming that the korean variety is glutinous and the chinese isn't...because koreans eat sticky rice and the chinese don't

correct me if I'm wrong here

An ajumma is what I'd call an auntie.

Tangyuan=glutinous rice ball

We do so eat sticky rice. I'd rather eat sticky rice than white rice--but I'm an aberration. Maybe I should learn from your very cool signature and put "may is an aberration" in mine.

But back to the point: we use black sticky rice to cook a kind of dessert porridge. I think it's just cooked with water and sugar, and some coconut milk/cream is poured over it at serving.

That's the only kind of black rice I've ever seen.

Maybe I'll PM Doddie. She might know.

May

Yes, the black rice is sticky glutinous rice. We also have this kind of rice in the Philippines. Like other South East asian countries, Filipinos would use this kind of rice for sweet desserts.

I asked a korean friend about black sticky rice in the pat jook. She said that some provinces add black rice and some don't. It depends on the mom's or grandmother's recipe. I really don't like it, way much too sweet for me. I don't have a sweet tooth.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Aha!

That means I have (well, I can get my mom to buy anyway) all the ingredients.

Thanks Doddie!

ETA: I do plan to add the glutinous rice, because I believe that glutinous rice makes everything better.

Edited by miladyinsanity (log)

May

thanks for clearing things up for me, ladies

black rice is very confusing (but delicious)

yes, aunty is a great synonym for ajumma! oh and sheena is apunk rocker is a ramones song. I used it as a signature, because its my favorite song and it includes my name - kinda dorky (:

you are right about you guys eating sticky rice, I shouldn't have made an assumption and well I forgot that it is used in some delicious applications. I just know that I like it better than long grain, because its easier to pick up with chopsticks and has abetter mouth feel - more moisture

Yes, the black rice is sticky glutinous rice. We also have this kind of rice in the Philippines. Like other South East asian countries, Filipinos would use this kind of rice for sweet desserts.

I asked a korean friend about black sticky rice in the pat jook. She said that some provinces add black rice and some don't. It depends on the mom's  or grandmother's recipe. I really don't like it, way much too sweet for me. I don't have a sweet tooth.

wow, thanks for the info. I thought that my mom's version was something that she just pulled out of her head. My mother is from a city north of seoul, but its only like 15 miles away. Maybe she learned it from my grandmother, I have no clue where she is from