• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

scotts

Dined at Scott's yesterday evening, well some people would refer to a 5.30pm table as afternoon tea but they didn't appear to be serving scones!

Very quiet early on but the room filled up later creating a nice buzz. They have intende on oak floor but they had to lay carpet due to the complaints of a certain westminster councellor living directly above. This dulls the accoustics slightly and gives a less buzszy feel to the room.

I loved the room, i know some people aren't so impressed, art chosen by Mark Hix, not to everyone tastes. One thing that can't be contested is how much money has been spent on the place, certainly impressive.

Similar menu to Sheekey's. Had dressed crab, half pint Atlantic prawns, both simple and delicious. Turbot for two, bearnaise, pink fur apples, beautifully cooked, enormous fish, mega plate of food. White choc cheesecake with griottine cherries, pretty crap, very jealous of my wife's bakewell pudding, a thin, baked to order puff pastry, raspberry jam, frangipane number with almond ice cream - really good.

drank Pacific Dry Rim Riesling, Bonny Doon Winery, Santa Cruz 2004, very dissapointing wine, don't recommend.

Altogether very enjoyable meal, similar service to the rest of the group, still a bloody cover charge but will go back soon. Refreshing to have nice big portions of beautifully cooked simple food.

Matt Christmas.

oooh you have to go back and try the rhubarb compote with vanilla custard ice cream, the best thing i have eaten all year unquestionably mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

A London establishment?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

This dulls the accoustics slightly and gives a less buzszy feel to the room

As a semi-retired sound engineer who hates reflective acoustics in busy restaurants, this is a big plus :smile:

Especially if you get seated next to a load of Chavs or Hooray Henrys/Henriettas :raz:

Pass the Glock....(not a wine I hasten to add...)

I

i tend to agree on the noise front but i could not help but feel that the intended extra buzz would have livened up the room a little

You are correct there - i have dined there several times and on the last visit at 6.30 on a sunday night the "buzz" was definitely lacking despite the room being moderately full, You still acn't beat Le caprice in terms of that though in my opinion

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

• 10 months later...

I was totally in raptures over my meal here last night. Aside from a couple of odd service issues (they don't like you taking photos apparently, bloody celeb brown nosing but what can you do) the whole experience was great. Dover Sole Meuniere is officially my new favourite thing to eat.

I just wish I could have tried everything on the menu, but I suppose there's always next time.

http://cheesenbiscuits.blogspot.com/2007/1...ts-mayfair.html