• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MxMo XI

eje

If any of you read (or write) blogs which cover cocktails, you might know that Paul over at Cocktail Chronicles has been organizing a monthly online cocktail event he calls Mixology Mondays.

This month's event is being hosted over at Imbibe Magazine. The theme is "Winter Warmers".

Now, we know it's not cold everywhere, but we'd love to hear about your favorite cozy concoctions. What do you mix up when the weather is frightfully cold or you're just looking for something comforting to sip? Your submission can be an old favorite or a new creation, as long as you credit the source if it's not an original.

If you would like to participate, please post in this topic before Monday, January 15th at midnight. I will compile a list of cocktails posted and mail them to the organizer.

gallery_27569_3448_4022.jpg

What warms your gullet on a cold January evening?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I've never quite understood the popularity of those pouches of "Hot Chocolate Mix".

Making Hot Chocolate from scratch is a bit of a pain. But, if you follow simple rules, it isn't hard. The ritual is really no more complicated than making an Old-Fashioned or Sazerac. And, really, the end product is so far superior, that I don't think you'll go back to the snack pack.

Chocolate is one of the most important new world foods. Along with Corn, Potatoes, Chiles, and Tomatoes, it is one of the great staples "discovered" by the Europeans in the so-called new world. Imagine no one knowing what they were missing until they tried that first chocolate!

Drinking chocolate is the most basic way to consume it and was probably done for hundreds of years before the Europeans arrived on the shores of America.

First heat your liquid*. For each portion heat 8 ounces of liquid. I usually just use whatever milk is in the refrigerator. I guess it's skim. Whole milk is nice. The mayans and aztecs usually used only water. Bring your liquid to a near simmer. Don't quite let it boil, especially if it is milk.

gallery_27569_3448_11233.jpg

While that is happening, put 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a mug. I also usually add a pinch of cayenne and a dash of cinnamon powder. To this add 3 tablespoons of water. Stir this will a spoon. It will take a couple seconds of mixing; but, it will come together into a smooth paste that looks like melted chocolate.

gallery_27569_3448_1835.jpg

Starting slowly, drip in some of your warm liquid. Stir each of those first additions carefully until they are combined.

gallery_27569_3448_2807.jpg

Once it seems like the paste is dissolving well in your liquid, pour in the rest while stirring.

gallery_27569_3448_8892.jpg

Once you've gotten to this point, the world is your oyster. Enjoy it as is, or add a flavoring as you choose. Liquor, liqueur, syrup, extract... The sky's the limit. Any flavor you like with chocolate can go in there.

I added an ounce of W.L. Weller 12 year old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. The flavors combined nicely.

gallery_27569_3448_12416.jpg

Sit back, and enjoy your Winter Warmer.

*If you have one of those steamers on your espresso or coffee maker, you can also heat the liquid with it. If you do heat your liquid with one of the milk steamer attachments or devices, do the chocolate mixing step first. Also, unless you are inordinately fond of foam, heat the milk in a manner which minimizes the amount foam formed.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

The cure for all insomnia that ails me...

Caramel Apple Toddy

6 oz. 2% or whole milk

1 heaping tablespoon of dark Dulce de Leche (1 can Sweetened condensed milk submerged and boiled in pressure cooker for about 50 minutes)

1.5 oz. Laird's Applejack

pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg garnish (optional)

Heat the milk and DdL in the microwave for about 2 minutes. Whirl in the blender. Heat for another 30-45 seconds. Pour into mug and add applejack. Stir and enjoy.

This is the grownup version of warm milk that helps you sleep like a baby...

gallery_7409_476_49925.jpg

(My apologies for the blurry snapshot. Bad cell phone camera)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks to everyone who posted in this MxMo!

The nice folks over at Imbibe Magazine have posted a roundup of Mixology Monday XI: Winter Warmers.

Mixology Monday XI Roundup

Our Winter Warmers Mixology Monday was followed by a Tuesday morning snowstorm. Though three inches doesn't change a thing in places like Boston or Portland, Me., it means a day off here in the Northwest. Even 24 hours after the last snowflake, many local establishments are still closed. The weather outside makes us thirst for warmth, so we'll try as many recipes as we can before the last icicle melts. Ambitious, perhaps, but we're inspired.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA