• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Haricot Lingot

debkauz

This is all I could find ... substitute another bean for yours ... haricots lingot du Lauragais are not available in the USA; thus, when one makes cassoulet, perhaps a Cassoulet de Toulouse, one can use the "Mogettes de Vendée", a white kidney bean with a flat extremity - in other words, another haricot lingot... :huh:

an online source, perhaps? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Does anyone know where I can order Haricot Lingot in the US?  I've googled until I'm all googled out and just can't find a source.  I'd appreciate any and all leads.  Thanks!

If you are searching for a bean to use in cassoulet, Rancho Gordo has a flageolet which is an excellent substitute.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

If for casoulette then I always used Great Northern beans when we lived in the states.

They worked well.

If I didn't think customs would confiscate them I'd offer to ship some Lingots over. They're common here & I use them in my casoulettes as that's what the locals use.

Thanks for the tips! I'll try the Great Northern's to start and then I can work from there. I just want a really good casoulette for NYE. I'd like to just fly to Paris and go to my favorite place there but other than that, I'll have to make it myself.

Have a great New Year!

I've posted part #1 of a three part pictorial casoulette recipe on the Casoulette cookoff thread in the cooking topic today.

You might be interested in the bean pictures & comments.