• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alone in AC

Kim WB

I don't like AC. I don't gamble. I hate smoke. And velour sweat suits.

On that positive note :hmmm: , I will be there Tues and Wed evening, at the Real Estate Convention. One coworker canceled, and another is coming down a day later. So I am solo. Days will be filled with continuing Ed classes. I am staying at the Sheraton.

I don't want to travel far..no whitehouse subs, not roughing it. Looking for nearby alternatives and upgrades to hotel fare. Price not an option. Suggestions with bars that are comfortable to eat at very much appreciated..I think eating at a bar alone is preferable to eating at a table alone.

My option is to watch sappy Christmas movies and order room service. I love those little fat ketchup bottles. This is not a bad option, actually. I'm really leaning towards it. Maybe a bit of ebay surfing, a nice Cabernet...

Yes, there are the social networking drinkfests in the evenings..been there, done that, not in the frame of mind for such due to some personal stuff going on right now.

Look forward to your suggestions, thanks.

The suggestion of Suilan is a good one, but I thought you'd mentioned having dined at the Susanna Foo in Philly before, so that might not be new ground for you.

The Borgata also has the new-ish Bobby Flay Steaks, Michael Mina's Seablue, Wolfgang Puck's American Grille, and Luke Palladino's Specchio.

Personally, I think the signature dish at Seablue, the Lobster Pot Pie, and a few nice glasses of Viognier or a nice white Burgundy would be the way I'd spend my evening. I haven't had it personally, but I'm told it's crazy delicious. It sounds like the perfect cross between haute cuisine and comfort food to me, and with the right wine on the side, a fabulous dinner that couldn't be replicated elsewhere.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

dock's oyster house has decent food, a very good wine list (priced fairly, think about 1.5 times retail), a smallish but comfortable bar. i would go there and eat at the bar have decent wine and oysters. the website is www.docksoysterhouse.com

Edited by wkl (log)

dock's oyster house has decent food, a very good wine list (priced fairly, think about 1.5 times retail), a smallish but comfortable bar. i would go there and eat at the bar have decent wine and oysters. the website is www.docksoysterhouse.com

I'd second Dock's but the bar is the same as the waiting area, and if they are busy it can be very crowded and not condusive to a leasurely/relaxed meal.

If not room service is there a 'food taxi' service that might bring in outside food for you? Don't know....

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

thank you for taking the time to reply. Yesterday, I ate at Ruth Chris...easy, convenient, around the corner from the hotel. I was watching Jennifer Aniston's "The Breakup" by 8:30...Tonite I am joining a small group at Flay's, although to be honest I would prefer to try Mina's Seablue. But while last night was perfectly enjoyable, even the best meal is missing something without companionship, so I am following the preferred consensus of the group. Thanks again.