• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fudge Frosting

mignardise

I've only used the standard ganache to frost my cupcakes.

I think it is too strong for the kids tastebuds.

Looking for a fudge frosting w/ powdered sugar.

I don't know...haven't come across an outstanding one yet.

Okay something so simple....But, I've tried so many....and experimenting w/ chocolate can be $$$$.

I am looking for the powdered sugar type, but some are way too sweet.

Some are so off tasting.

I would like a nice balance.

But, no cream cheese and sour cream plz.

Anyone have a favorite?

Have an all cocoa one that I like.

Any feedback on an all cocoa frosting vs. all chocolate?

I've only used the standard ganache to frost my cupcakes.

I think it is too strong for the kids tastebuds.

How little are we talking about? My kids (5 and 8) both prefer ganache and buttercreams over typical frostings made with powdered sugar. Although I guess it really depends on what the kids are used to...

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I love Hershey's chocolate frosting--the recipe on the can still works. The day after my daughter got married, we all ate the rest of the leftover icing off spoons like candy--people from 10 years old to 60--worked for us. I do add about a tablespoon of brewed coffee, a dit dot of orange flavor can really set it off too. And sometimes I make it the old fashioned way where you sift the cocoa and powdered sugar together first.

Marcel Desaulniers, the Death by Chocolate guy, said on tv that he uses Bakers chocolate...like I do.