• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Croatia and Venice

:wub::wub::wub: We just got back from our magical trip to Venice and the former Yugoslavia. Thanks to all at eGullet for your suggestions and tips.

I ate EVERYTHING I planned - squid ink risotto with cuttle fish, every manner of squid, Croatian fish soup, lamb "Under the Bell", blood sauage, tremezzini, cichetti of every shape, style, and presentation, liver Venetian style, as well as their pasta fagiole,whole wheat pasta with sardines and onions, and croissants con marmellata... Then there was the gelato, torrone, that AMAZING Slovenian cream cake, walnut liqueur, pear brandy, the biggest, fattest juiciest tangerines at Zagreb, more pomegranates and persimmons than one could count. I will attempt to send some pics, but though I am REALLY good at eating, I seem to be impaired at eGullet picture posting. BURP!

gallery_46284_3749_50168.jpg

Ah yes, the cream cake. People lined up at this lakeside restaurant to have a piece. At every booth and counter, sweet creaminess. It consisted of a top and bottom layer of puff pastry, then a thick pastry cream, and lighter than a cloud sweetened whipped cream. I'm writing to Bon Appetit so I can get the recipe. If I weren't on Weight watchers, I would have had a second piece. Some of our friends shared a piece---SISSIES!!!