• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raspberry vinaigrette

Sugarshoc

I'm hosting a little get together in November and one of my guests loves raspberry vinagrette. How do I make that from scratch? She suggested olive oil, raspberry jam, and balsamic vinegar. I want to hear some other ideas. Thanks, oh and this is my first time posting, I mean 2nd time posting, but I've been reading these forums for a few years.

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of the raspberry jam.

I might like an approach more like this linked recipe: click

It uses olive oil, red and balsamic vinegars, frozen raspberries, lemon and lime juice. Sugar is added to sweeten. I like that one can add the sugar to taste so that it isn't too sweet. It doesn't mention salt and pepper but I would probably test some on the side and see if that was an improvement.

Any other ingredients planned for your salad besdies greens? Somehow I'm thinking of feta cheese... :smile:

Welcome to posting!

edited to add: It would be great to hear from those that have experimented with raspberry vinagrette. I imagine some would use raspberry vinegar as a base.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I usually make this with strained (frozen) raspberry puree. Being the cake person that I am, it's usually when I have some puree leftover from making raspberry buttercream.

However, I haven't experimented with this much, so maybe there's a better way to get a more intense flavor. I would try steeping the raspberries in vinegar first, then puree and strain.

Rapsberry jam strikes me as being way too sweet.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

It's nice with the crush-and-juice method--especially through a small-holed chinois. About half a cup, reduced to two tablespoons, then proceed with vinaigrette, using a very light vinegar.

Lordy, GG! That recipe you linked---you could whirl it a couple of minutes to the pink-cream stage, throw in a handful of poppyseeds, and take that salad to any Church Supper South of the M/D. :wub:

Lordy, GG!  That recipe you linked---you could whirl it a couple of minutes to the pink-cream stage, throw in a handful of poppyseeds, and take that salad to any Church Supper South of the M/D.    :wub:

dunno about church suppers but I get your drift .. and I will take it somewhere special, where it can get the southern acclaim it deserves, y'all! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Penzey's , www.penzeys.com, sells an item called Rasberry Enlightenment. They say they developed it as something to use instead of balsamic to add both tartness and sweetness. I haven't tried it yet, since I love balsamic. However, everything I have ever ordered from them has been great.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

I used to make one all the time that was raspeberry vinegar, fresh raspberries, honey, salt, pepper, and olive oil. It was quite nice.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Thank you all so much for your replies. :biggrin: I think I'm going to try the recipe link that GG gave. Everyone's ideas and recipes sound so delicious. GG, I had the same face too when my friend told me about raspberry jam. My mind was on using frozen raspberries. Thank you so much. I'll let you all know how it turns out. I start culinary school on the 4th so I will be prancing around these boards a lot more.

Ludja: I was going to just use greens but now that you put feta on my mind, I might just try that. It's between the feta or parmesan. I looove parmesan.

Thank you all so much for your replies.  :biggrin:  I think I'm going to try the recipe link that GG gave.  Everyone's ideas and recipes sound so delicious.  GG, I had the same face too when my friend told me about raspberry jam.  My mind was on using frozen raspberries.  Thank you so much.  I'll let you all know how it turns out.  I start culinary school on the 4th so I will be prancing around these boards a lot more.

Ludja: I was going to just use greens but now that you put feta on my mind, I might just try that. It's between the feta or parmesan.  I looove parmesan.

I make raspberry puree every summer when they're ripe. Squeeze them through a chinois (small hole size), and collect the puree. Then I boil the puree and add the juice of 1/2 - 1 lemon, and some sugar until it still tastes just tart and doesn't make you pucker like alum!

The result is then canned to have on hand.

Raspberry Vinagrette

2 TBSP EVOO

2 TBSP Aged Balsamic

2 TBSP Raspberry Puree (above)

1 Heaping TBSP Dijon Mustard

1 Heaping TBSP Dark Brown Sugar

2 TBSP fine dice Red Onion, Shallots, Leeks, or Scallions

Pinch of Salt

Lots of Fresh ground Black (or White) Pepper.

I whish it all, and if it isn't thick enough, I drizzle in a bit more EVOO until its the consistency and taste I'm looking for. (You, too, can adjust the seasonings to taste).

Sometimes, I substitute 1 TBSP of Red wine Vinegar for 1 TBSP of the Balsamic.

When I toss the salad with the vinagrette, I add lots of grated Parmesan cheese (not Kraft!).

doc

1 punnet of raspberries (driscoll)

2 stalks tarragon

Put both in a glass or plastic container

Pour over 2 cups of Japanese seasoned Rice vinegar.

Cover.

Refrigerate for 72 hrs.

Strain.

Use this to dress your salad with mild olive oil, salt and pepper.

This obviously has no emulsifiers like eggs and mustard but it is a vinaigrette with excellent raz flavor without killing the greens.

^Thanks, vadouvan. This sounds really good.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 3 weeks later...

Hey you all,

Just a little update. I just made the raspberry vinagrette that GG linked us to. I LOVE IT!! I hope my friends are just as impressed. Thank you. I'm going to be serving it with an herb salad tonight.