• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pommard

ulterior epicure

Yeah, I know, it's me - the teetotaler. So, I came across a dusty bottle of Barton & Guiestier Pommard in my basement... vintage 1983. Tell, me how bad is this going to be? :blink: Should I not even bother opening it?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Open it for fun. Have a backup. B&G is the kind of wine I found pretty darn classy from roughly the time discovered it, as an 18-year-old busboy in a department store restaurant impressed by the acceptable quality of the wine and the legant Frenchiness of the label (it didn't have the funny beflagged house you see in the link), and the time I actually started learning something about wine.

If I recall, Pommards are tough old birds, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.