• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Augustino's Hoboken

Rosie

is this the place on washington right north of 11th on the west side of the street?

if so, i was there about a year ago. quite decent enough. family run. make reservations as they have a LOT of regulars and only a few seats. a bit more than a "pasta and sauce" joint. classic nothern italian i'd say.

i would say that it's probably not worth your trip to hoboken. unless you're in the area. it was NOT byob when i was there.

I'm still partial to Margherita's as it's more casual and we're treated well there given that we've been customers since they opened, but Augustino's is VERY good.

They DO take reservations, a rarity in town, and you'll need to make them at least a few days in advance. Like i said, the food is very good, everyone i went with enjoyed their meal the nite we were there, but we probably haven't been back b/c we usually don't think about eating out a few days in advance (and therefore don't make reservations ahead of time).

It is NOT BYO as they have a bar in the back of the restaurant, which they will offer you to sit and eat at if you walk in looking for a table but haven't made a reservation, although it doesn't look like it would be very comfortable doing so.

It's family run and as a result the wait staff is more friendly than professional. While we were ordering some woman stumbled out and said good bye to our waitress, who politely said good bye but then turned to us and commenting about her being three sheets to the wind (or some expression like that).

I would recommend it if you planned ahead and had a desire to come into Hoboken.

Since it appears that you come to Hoboken frequently, i'll recommend (and let me know if you've been already or not) The Baja. Don't order anything but "The Baja Special" (and ask for all the shrimp grilled). A HUGE family style platter emerges with piles of marinated steak, grilled chicken, and JUMBO shrimp... served with rice, beans, and tortillas on the side. Just reminded myself i haven't been there in a while, i'll have to go soon!

Don't order anything but "The Baja Special" (and ask for all the shrimp grilled).  A HUGE family style platter emerges with piles of <deliciosly> marinated steak, grilled chicken, and JUMBO shrimp... served with rice, beans, and tortillas on the side.  Just reminded myself i haven't been there in a while, i'll have to go soon!

i refuse to get into this with you again since i like you and all.

[it sucks] :raz:

... can i at LEAST get you to admit the platter is better than their Huevos Rancheros? (i did a search earlier today and came across your blessing on their version of this dish)

you know, i just realized that all along i meant "east la" as far as the huevos rancheros go!!! lol! oh well. :biggrin:

Augustino's, 1104 Washington Street, Hoboken is a quirky little restaurant with seven tables, cash only policy and a waitress who insists on knowing the names of everyone who dines there. When I called for a reservation I was asked my name. I started to respond with my last name and was told "no, your first name." I gave my name, and was then asked what the name of the person was who was dining with me. I gave that also and thought this will be interesting. I was never asked this before. On the day of our reservation I received a phone call confirming the reservation. " Rosalie, you and Lowell have a reservation tonight. I am calling to confirm." This sounded even more interesting-- a restaurant that personalizes service.

We arrived at Augustino's 15 minutes early as we had no difficulty getting parking in Hoboken. Usually we allow an extra 30 minutes just to find parking. Dining there in the summer certainly has its advantages. When we walked in our table wasn't ready and we were asked to go to the small bar at the rear of the restaurant. BTW-smoking is allowed at the bar. Lowell ordered a beer and I looked at the very reasonable wine list. We ordered a bottle. Bruschetta was brought out for us to nibble on which was excellent with juicy tomatoes and some shaved cheese. We also looked at the menu and a written list of the specials without the prices that was on a small pad. At 7:15 our table was ready, we were called by our names and the wine was brought to our table. The bar bill was added to our check making payment easier as it is a "cash only" restaurant.

Dinner was very good and we look forward to returning to this restaurant. There was one dish we weren't crazy about--a chicken on the bone with peppers, mushrooms and sausage which had a very vinegary sauce. Pickled red peppers were also used and although the chicken was good, we just didn't care for the abundance of vinegar. Fabulous warm bread was brought to the table along with butter. Olive oil as well as a pepper mill were on the table. We started off with a tender, light calamari salad with onions and celery in a lemon dressing. Next we shared orecchiette with broccoli rabe with hot sausage that was fabulous. The dish was split in the kitchen for us. Portions are very generous and at this point I was a happy camper! Next Lowell had the chicken and I had a special of rack of lamb with a side of don't miss potatoes, onions and tomatoes. Dinner comes with pasta or a vegetable. The lamb came with 8 ribs and were perfectly cooked. Dessert and coffee were disappointing. We shared a white chocolate/chocolate cheesecake that was not worth the calories and was not made in house.

If you go here be sure to make a reservation. They will be open on Monday's after September 9. Phone: 201-420-0104.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie (and anyone else lurking),

Thanks for the review and glad you enjoyed.

Next time dining in town and the weather is nice, bypass coffee/dessert at the restaurant and get turned on to my H3 (aka- "Hidden Hoboken Hideaway").

Walk off dinner by strolling up/down Washington St. until you get to Park Pastries (~515 Washington St... the name comes from when their store was located on Park Ave). It's a counter service coffee place with in-house pastries and a few tables inside and out front. However, the true pleasure of the place is the BACK... walk out the back door and there is a little decked off courtyard, with open sky but enclosed by the buildings around it. The coffee is "ok" (this coming from somebody who hates Starbucks) and most of the pastries are above average, but to sit and relax on this deck, away from the crowd of the Hoboken city/town crowd, it pure bliss.

The only downside is that they close early, maybe 11pm or midnite. Surprisingly, the "backyard" is seldom crowded, although the rest of the place often has other people along with a few open tables (ie- you won't be the only people there, although you won't have to wait for a table either).

I'm one step ahead of you GO BLUE. We were at Park Pastries last week and shared a delicious piece of carrot cake and coffee. We were at the Hoboken museum, a small space, but very interesting. Then we shopped at Sparrow Wine and picked up some interesting bottles.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I'm one step ahead of you  GO BLUE. We were at  Park Pastries last week and shared a delicious piece of carrot cake and coffee. We were at the Hoboken museum, a small space, but very interesting. Then we shopped at Sparrow Wine and picked up some interesting bottles.

But.... did you sit out back?

I think the pastries/coffee is decent enough, but what makes this place special is the deck in the back.