• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Washington Inn

Kim WB

I'm looking forward to my first visit to the Washington Inn in Cape May this coming week. Hads anyone been recently? What other favorites do you have in that S. Jersey Shore area? We'll do Karen and Rei's in their new location, and then Sea Grill in Avalon and Backporch (backyard?) in Stone Harbor. Wahington Inn and K and R's will be just the two of us, the other places will be with the crowd of assorted in laws, outlaws, teens, friends of teens, etc. that wind up at the house, which is in Avalon.

Kim,

Was at the Washington Inn in April of this year. I had been several times before, but not during the past 2 years or so. I have to say that I think some of the shine that I first felt during my prior visits was no longer there. Don't know if it's because I'm older and wiser :blink: or if it has really just gone down a notch or two over the past few years. Service was not what I had previously experienced; not that it was bad, but just not as polished. Wine list and food were good, but all in our party (6) came away with the same feeling that it was better in the past. Anyway, for a first timer, you are certainly in for a good experience! Water's Edge and Daniels are other faves in the CM area.

• 2 weeks later...

WEll, I can confirm your suspicions: the shine is gone. Well, not having been there before..but really, an all round mediocre meal: service, food, experience.

While the Inn is very pretty, its decorated in this Martha Stewart gone bezerk style, too many flounces, florals and frou-frou. I understand its victorian, but a little less fringe would make it seem fresher...it smelled musty.

The bartender ignored us and happily chatted away with some regulars about Lisa and Mark who had a giant fight and had to call the cops. Drinks could not be transferred over to the dinner tab. I hate that. I understand the practicality of it, but I don't like it.

Wine selections were strong, they didn't gauge us, had a Lakoya Cab.

Server was overly-friendly and when we didn't respond accordingly, became pompous.

Food was blah. The foie gras app was in a reduction that was reduced to syrup. Husband's steak was soaked in butter. My rack of lamb were so overly crusted with pistachios and something way to sweet! My caramel banana tart was served ice cold, the bananas were rock hard.

This is a very apparrnt display of a restaurant surviving on its reputation.

:sad:

Kim,

Sorry to hear about your experience at WI. While mine was not that bad, I can certainly empathize with your feelings of disappointment.

:sad:

Do you think this is a case of a once excellent restaurant having run its course? I don't know if they have had any kitchen or management changes over the past few years, but at this point I think they can certainly stand a shake up. There are just too many other fine dining establishments in that area for them to slack off and rest on their reputation. Did you dine anywhere else during your vacation week? I know in your previous post you talked about K&R. How was that as well as anyplace else you ate?

Do you think this is a case of a once excellent restaurant having run its course?  Did you dine anywhere else during your vacation week?  I know in your previous post you talked about K&R.  How was that as well as anyplace else you ate?

Yes, I think that the Washington Inn has stuck witht he tried and true, without evolving or changing...but that's only part of the problem. My complaint is not only that the menu was outdated ( gaufrette potatoes, a big square of them, on the side, with overcooked zucchinni!) but also that the outdated selections themselves were not executed, I don't expect a Cape May place to be cutting edge..its not the market. But if they are making a gaufrette ( am I spelling that right??!!) it should not be mushy, drowning in cream, etc..IMO, a menu with pistachio crusted lamb is old news. But at least make it a GOOD version of an OLD dish.

I'm still at the beach, had lots of guests this week, so we did local Avalon/Stone Harbor places: Fish Tales, Sea Grill...or ate at home. ( lots of visiting small kids, easier to make a few London Broils, corn and tomato salad thatn drag them out.) I'll be visiting Karen and Rei's, though...it was a favorite when it was in Avalon, and worth going off island for.

I don't expect a Cape May place to be cutting edge..its not the market.

Kim,

I think that you might be pleasantly surprised with a few other places in CM that might not be "cutting edge" but are above average.

speaking of PPB ( that's where I always went growing up, and my sisters and mom still rent there)  what do you think of Foy's??

Oh boy, you've hit a nerve. Foy's is, by far, one of the worst restaurant experiences I have ever had. While his menu and execution was top notch, the decor and service were the worst I have ever experienced. Minimalist pretty much sums up the decor, which would be ok if it were comfortable. The chairs were the closest thing to folding chairs that he could have found. Service was abominable. The hostess ended up taking our orders after we had been seated for well over 30 minutes, and when our server found out they had a screaming match at our table. He ripped up the order she had taken while he was standing at the kitchen counter (located facing the restaurant) and made us order all over again. We should have left then, but we were gluttons for punishment. After dinner was finally served and then bussed, a busboy came over to wipe our plastic topped table down with a dirty rag. Did we pass on dessert after that? YOU BET!! Went to Hoffmans for ice cream. I'm sure that they were happy to turn our table as there was a line outside waiting to enter. This occured last year, and I have not even passed Foy's at all this summer. Don't know if he is still there, and I frankly don't care. I can't help but think that in some warped way he is in the back of the restaurant laughing at all the patrons that sit in those damn chairs and take that abuse.