• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum typology

mkayahara

I'm just starting to get interested in rum, and am finding it a little tough to wrap my head around all the types. Can someone offer a good typology of rums? For example, there's clearly a difference between white rum, gold rum and dark rum, but where does gold rum end and dark rum begin? Is it simply a function of age, or is there some other criterion? And where does "light" rum fall on that continuum?

Also, I've seen references to "Jamaican style" vs. "Puerto Rican style," which, as I understand it, is a function of distillation proof. Right? How does this affect flavour? Are they also handled differently after distillation? Is there any way of predicting what style of rum is in the bottle based on country of origin or some similar attribute, without having memorized countless books and websites before going into the liquor store?

The only thing I feel pretty confident about is the source material: most rum is made from molasses, with a couple being made from concentrated cane juice, and some from pure cane juice. Most of this last category consists of "rhums agricoles," if I understand this correctly.

Part of the reason I ask is that a nearby liquor store is discontinuing a number of rums (and other spirits and wines), so I have the following at my disposal for 30% off: San Miguel 5 and 7 year, Inner Circle Red Dot, Green Dot and Black Dot, Barbancourt Five Star (which I've already snagged a bottle of), and Cadenhead Demerara 25-year (which, at CAD $80-something after discount, I'm not likely to buy anytime soon).

I'd appreciate any and all information this community can offer. Thanks!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

There are no instant answers to these questions. The names gold have a lot more to do with the distiller than the taste of the rum.

Of the rums you mention I'd buy all of the Barbancourt Five Star, some of the Inner Circle Green Dot, try the San Miguel 7 and possible 5. Unfortunately, in my experience the Cadenhead rums vary greatly in quality and value. One of the best rums I've enjoyed was a 30 yo cask strength Cadenhead, but I've been very disappointed in a 15 and 20 yo from the same bottler.

San Miguel bottles some good rum, but if they aren't to your taste then they aren't a good value. I wouldn't however put these rums in the same class as things like Barbancourt Five Star.

Distillation proof is only one of the factors for taste, raw ingredients and fermentation as well as conditioning after distillation all have to be considered.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.