• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caffe Vivaldi

Pan

Hi, everyone. I'm thinking of going to Caffe Vivaldi tomorrow to hear some jazz. The set is at 7:30. Is this a decent place to have dinner, or should I get dinner elsewhere and just order drinks or/and dessert at Vivaldi?

Michael aka "Pan"

Drinks only. Vivaldi is a great place to hear live music but with so many great restaurants in the neighborhood (Pearl Oyster Bar, Blue Ribbon Bakery, Little Owl, 'ino, Mary's Fish Camp, Mas, Lupa, etc.), there's no reason to eat mediocre food.

Last time I was there, food didn't look bad, but this is not a food oriented place. It's not a professionally run restaurant. World's smallest mens room, with a door that opens inward, you may have trouble getting out!

I guess I should find out if they have a later set, so we can have dinner elsewhere first (or, maybe, after that 7:30 set). [Edit:] Looks like there's another set at 9 P.M. Oddly enough, the phone number listed for them on CitySearch is the payphone! I just talked to the same woman twice, on the payphone and then on their real phone, and she sounded like a different person the second time!

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

I think the place is run as a hobby, or something weird is going on. It seems to have no plausable source of revenue great enough to cover the rent. Drinks are strong. I wouldn't call it jazz btw, it's more voval pop, folk really.