• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pennsylvanian Saffron

johnsmith45678

Anybody know who sells Pennsylvanian saffron (online, or nationwide chains, or local to Denver)? In one of ATK's books they did a tasting of saffron, and Pennsylvanian saffron was their favorite (followed by Spanish, then Indian/Kashmir). It's Pennsylvanian Dutch, IIRC. I checked Penzy's and Savory Spice Shop, but they don't have it.

Anybody know who sells Pennsylvanian saffron (online, or nationwide chains, or local to Denver)? In one of ATK's books they did a tasting of saffron, and Pennsylvanian saffron was their favorite (followed by Spanish, then Indian/Kashmir). It's Pennsylvanian Dutch, IIRC. I checked Penzy's and Savory Spice Shop, but they don't have it.

I don't know how you can order it, but I had jotted down the name of the company: M & J Greider Farms. Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

a bit of googling (spaces before and after the ampersand) revealed sad news:

jan 2006 article

check page 2, second column...apparently fallow fields adjacent to the saffron crop lured crocus-eating pests into the fields, destroying the crop.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Man, that sucks. Hopefully he's able to get it growing again. I'm surprised he was the one and only saffron grower in all the US. Seems like it'd be a lucrative crop to grow here.

he might be the only major grower, but i don't think he was the guy who is selling at livengood's.

It's getting late in the season, but you might want to try growing your own saffron, if space and patience allows.  Brent and Becky's are already sold out, but White Flower Farm still has Crocus sativus in stock.

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/910891-product.html

How much saffron can you produce if you grow your own -- say from a couple of pots?

• 1 month later...