• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aperitifs De Provence

waves2ya

Greetings.

I've received a gift of a selection of "Aperitifs De Provence"; they are "Orange Colombo", "Noix de la Saint Jean", "RinQuinQuin" & "Gentiane De Lure".

Anyone know how best to offer these...? Straight - or with some other licquer (like gin) or perhaps a splash of soda & ice...

Many thanks, in advance, for ideas.

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

Well, the only one I'm going to take a serious stab at is the noix de la st. jean.

I'm guessing this should be a walnut liqueur of some sort.

I make a walnut liqueur and have received mixed reviews as a digestiv.

Some like it, some don't.

My advice is, give it a try before offering, and don't over pour, even if you think it is the cat's pajamas.

It may also make an interesting substitute for vermouth/bitters in manhattan type cocktail, if you are of an experimental bent.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA