• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[pdx] Pastini Pastaria

Ages ago, I asked about restaurants that accommodate large numbers. Now that the party is approaching, and no reservations have been made, the official planners have decided on catering from Pastini Pastaria. I searched the board, but found nothing on the place.

Has anyone eaten there, and if so, what do you think of the food?

The official planners, by the way, nixed my first choice (Simpatica) after brunching there last weekend. They had something bad to say about everything they ate (I think they went in there expecting to dislike it, just because someone other than them suggested it, but that's just my guess!). But I'm still going there for Sunday brunch, even if I have to go alone!

Edited by prasantrin (log)

I've eaten there several times and always thought they were pretty good. Think Simple, Fresh, Satisfying.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I haven't eaten there, since I do so much Italian cooking at home, but I have eaten at Justa Pasta, which is very good, and they have a good rep with other people I know who love food. You might check if they cater.

Don't worry, we'll go to Sunday brunch with you!

regards,

trillium

I haven't eaten there, since I do so much Italian cooking at home, but I have eaten at Justa Pasta, which is very good, and they have a good rep with other people I know who love food.  You might check if they cater.

I think just my suggesting it might make it an automatic no-go. The "official planners", who have done very little in terms of actually planning anything, reject any ideas they don't have, themselves. I think that's why Simpatica got rejected. They went there looking for things wrong with the place, just because it wasn't a place they thought of (started out with "It's too hard to get to" (it's a 6-minute drive from where most people will be staying), and progressed to "the chicken was sickly yellow and still raw in the middle (red)". They didn't want to like it, and they made sure they didn't.

Don't worry, we'll go to Sunday brunch with you!

regards,

trillium

I was hoping for that! :biggrin: I think I can talk my mother into joining us, too! I had sent her the pictures, and even after what my aunt said, my mom said we had to try the food for ourselves! I hope they still have the crab strata when we get there, because my mother would love it!

I've eaten there several times and always thought they were pretty good.  Think Simple, Fresh, Satisfying.

That's good to hear. I'm not a huge fan of dinner parties where pasta is the main form of sustenance (we might be having sandwiches, too, I hear), and the mention of "Alfredo Sauce" on their menu has me a little worried. But at least you make it sound better than the Olive Garden!

Do you have any particular favourites? A lot of the stuff on the menu reminds me of...well...the Olive Garden, so it's a bit difficult to judge what might be good. We eat anything, but there will be some vegetarians there, I think, so at least one of our three or four choices must be vegetarian.

Pastini is better than Olive Garden, no question. But really fine dining it's not. My wife has been there several times (the downtown restaurant) and liked it. But when I went with her, I thought the pastas were a bit overdone and mushy. I think their aim is reasonably priced fare whose quality is a cut above the franchises (although they now are a franchise). And I think they succeed in that. You could certainly do worse, especially since any suggestion you make will be rejected.

Check out our Fooddoings and more at A View from Eastmoreland

Have you tried, "You guys are doing a great job planning all this (!), and I know you'll make a good choice for dinner, but one thing all my friends on eGullet have been saying . . . for God's sake, don't go to (your choice!)" They'll love to veto the foodie vote! :raz:

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

I've eaten there several times and always thought they were pretty good.  Think Simple, Fresh, Satisfying.

That's good to hear. I'm not a huge fan of dinner parties where pasta is the main form of sustenance (we might be having sandwiches, too, I hear), and the mention of "Alfredo Sauce" on their menu has me a little worried. But at least you make it sound better than the Olive Garden!

Do you have any particular favourites? A lot of the stuff on the menu reminds me of...well...the Olive Garden, so it's a bit difficult to judge what might be good. We eat anything, but there will be some vegetarians there, I think, so at least one of our three or four choices must be vegetarian.

I haven't eaten there often enough to have a favorite dish; however, I do remember that each time I've eaten there I did not feel disappointed.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”