• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Opentable.com

Ok, so I logged onto Opentable today and noticed that it now says, "An Opentable VIP member." So I take it that that status and a farepass card will get me on a skytrain and that it doesn't do much else, right? Or do some Vancouver restaurants actually do something special for "Opentable VIP" members.

My first impression is that it is a bit of a joke, but I'm curious if I'm wrong?

Cheers!

Ok, so I logged onto Opentable today and noticed that it now says, "An Opentable VIP member."  So I take it that that status and a farepass card will get me on a skytrain and that it doesn't do much else, right?  Or do some Vancouver restaurants actually do something special for "Opentable VIP" members. 

My first impression is that it is a bit of a joke, but I'm curious if I'm wrong?

Cheers!

VIP status is earned by honoring 12 or more online reservations made via OpenTable.com in the current or previous calendar year. Restaurants know you are an OpenTable VIP because your reservation is flagged with a special note.

Ok, so I logged onto Opentable today and noticed that it now says, "An Opentable VIP member."  So I take it that that status and a farepass card will get me on a skytrain and that it doesn't do much else, right?  Or do some Vancouver restaurants actually do something special for "Opentable VIP" members. 

Cheers!

VIP status is earned by honoring 12 or more online reservations made via OpenTable.com in the current or previous calendar year. Restaurants know you are an OpenTable VIP because your reservation is flagged with a special note.

from the opentable site under FAQ page 2

The opentable.com website is no help at all, so I searched the web and found this:

"VIP MEMBER BENEFITS

Restaurants know you are an OpenTable VIP. Your reservation is flagged with a special note. Periodic perks such as VIP invitations, premium offers, and more.

Exclusive recognition on OpenTable.com for VIP Members. In addition, VIP status and $3.50 will get you a cheese sandwich."

Okay, I made that last part up.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

Great so I've got 2 worthless dining tricks up my sleeve, the Opentable VIP and my decoder ring.

How I wish Idine would penetrate the Vancouver market more successfully so at least I could get some frequent flyer miles. :wink:

Cheers!